Free Windows 10 Upgrade.

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by LilAnn • Jun 28, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Microsoft has announced that anyone using windows 7 or 8 can upgrade to windows 10 for free... for a limited time. If you are using a pirated copy, thats ok, too. You just won't receive updates like the legitimate users will, but the upgrade is still available to you.

2. stephy2014

stephy2014New Member

Threads:
    I don't think the free upgrade is good. Because in the free version some virus are also free with that. So I don't want to try this once. I suggest you that you also don't use it. Thanks.

3. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't want viruses! Thank you for letting me know, seriously. I absolutely DO NOT want to tell people about the upgrade and then them get a virus because of it.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Can you edit the original post to include

?

And--I'm a little-bit 'out of The Loop' on OS-specifications--it says the upgrade is FREE if you're using Win7 or Win8, but what about Windows Vista? I searched the page for "Windows Vista," but I couldn't find anything about 'whether or not it's compatible' :confused:

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're kidding, right? It's a free version of Windows 10 FROM MICROSOFT. The free version will be the exact same as the paid version. It's a ploy by Microsoft to get more and more people to install Windows 10 to avoid the hiccups from Windows 8. There's nothing shady or dangerous about this.

If you have Windows Vista, then you're out of luck. The free upgrade applies to devices running Windows 7 and 8.1 only. Windows 8 users can upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free, so that's not an issue. Vista users are going to have to upgrade to Windows 7/8.1 in order to get the free update. For Vista users, it might be a better idea to purchase a new Windows 10 device when they release in the next couple months.

6. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    I tried the windows 10 at my friend's house and it was great, I love it. Simple as windows 7 and colorful as windows 8. In my opinion, this upgrade is great and it will improve my PC experience by making it faster.
    Windows 8 was really bad as a lot of people say, and I agree, but it seems like Microsoft have learned from their mistakes.

7. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Yes! I love that too. Finally Microsoft has done something right :D That was the one thing that I really loved about Apple was it's free software updates on Mac and IOS. It really makes the user feel like that they're getting what they paid for. We spend a lot of money and in return you give us free software updates and support for your devices.

8. hosewalker

hosewalkerMember

Threads:
    I've been getting notifications about this for a long time but I'm only taking notice now. Everyday a window on my computer pops up and asks me if I would like to upgrade to Windows 10. I've said no every time. I'm very happy with Windows 7 and I'm extremely glad that I didn't switch to Windows 8 when given the opportunity.

9. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    It won't be for free all the time. It's free only until they officially release it, so you will be subject to noticing a lot of bugs. I wouldn't upgrade it if I was you, to be honest.

10. troutski

Threads:
    You're just spreading misinformation. The upgrade is free for existing Windows 7 and 8 users for the first year of release, but you receive the full version of Windows 10 moving forward without having to pay afterward. It's just that you miss the free upgrade opportunity if you don't upgrade within that first year of release.

After that, users that didn't upgrade at all will have to pay $120 for Windows 10, BUT people that already upgraded will have the Windows 10 Home edition FOREVERMORE without having to pay A DIME. Stop spreading misinformation. Microsoft has done extensive user testing and gotten feedback from the community, so the current release of Windows 10 is incredibly stable, and you'll continue to receive updates for free from Microsoft.

11. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    I've just upgraded both my laptop and desktop to Windows 10, so here are my thoughts.

Windows 10 is made to go in the right direction, and Microsoft has done a good job this time listening to their consumers. The interface is much more modern, smooth, and contains a lesser memory footprint (not so much of a difference on this when compared to Windows 8.1 but it is definitely there).

For people who hated Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10 will definitely satisfy you. The start menu is back, along with an integrated search which basically searches everything on your computer and the web - therefore, you won't have trouble finding what you need.

As for the free upgrade, it is free only to those who have a genuine activated copy of Windows 7 and 8/8.1. This is a promotion that will last until next year July 29, 2016. Once you upgrade, Windows 10 will be activated forever. You can reset your PC and do a clean install of Windows 10 only after you upgrade.

I've not had any trouble upgrading or using Windows 10. Therefore, I can totally recommend anyone to try out Windows 10. Even if you upgraded and don't like it, you can revert back to previous Windows with no problem.

12. troutski

Threads:
    One thing to note...reverting back to Windows 7 or Windows 8 is only possible for a limited time. I don't remember what the period officially is, but I think Microsoft gives you 30 days from the upgrade date. Otherwise, you can't go back to a previous Windows version without a clean install or by purchasing a new PC. If you like Windows 10, then don't worry about it. If you try it out and preferred the previous version, then don't wait too long to revert back!

13. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    You're right about the 30 days. I think it's more than enough time for a user to know their relationship with Windows 10! :)

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have both Windows 7 and Vista on another computer. I think I will try the upgrade if I have 30 days to revert if I don't like the Window 10 upgrade.

15. troutski

Threads:
    The one unfortunate thing is that you won't be able to upgrade your Vista computer because the free update only applies to Windows 7 and 8. It makes sense though considering Vista is rather old and running on a relatively low number of machines. Also, Microsoft would obviously prefer if you paid to get a new machine that could upgrade to Windows 10 or already comes with Windows 10 stock. That's business for you.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I'm glad to hear there is a window of time to roll back.. I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys!

17. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    I have this upgrade right now, there are no viruses. This is a legitimate Microsoft offer as they want people to move onto their new platform and don't care too much about profits for Windows 10. Anyone saying that they will receive a virus using the windows update program (Built into windows) is un-educated on the matter.

18. troutski

Threads:
    Everything you've said is spot on, except Microsoft absolutely cares about profits. The free upgrade is designed to appease users that hated Windows 8 and maybe even Windows 7, but there are BILLIONS of dollars at stake for Microsoft here. People are still going to upgrade and buy new computers that come with Windows 10, and Microsoft gets a licensing fee for every single PC sold with the operating system on it. Plus, the app store that Microsoft runs will rake in millions, and Windows 10 Mobile will pull in some more money. It's all about the long game with money for Microsoft here.

19. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have been wondering about this since I got the message on my computer to upgrade. I have windows 8.1. I am afraid of upgrading and then it not working with my printer or other devices. Also, when upgrading to windows 10 will it allow you to make backup disc the way windows 8.1 does. Another worry of mine is that, if I don't like the windows 10, and I can't get windows 8.1 back on my computer. What about the windows media, they say it won't be available. I really am excited about trying it out but would like to talk to others that have already upgraded to see what their views about windows 10 are.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard the best things about Windows 10, and at the moment I just can't be bothered to have to learn an entirely new and upgraded system. I would just like to keep going with Windows seven. I have heard that Windows 10 will know when you have pirated software installed on your system, and automatically remove it. Hope this isn't true, since that would really screw with my system, as we are probably all eventually going to have to upgrade eventually.