Freezing soup

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Oct 29, 2014.

1. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I most certainly do freeze soups. I make big batches at a time and then divide them into smaller portions. This way, there is always some food on hand, when needed. It saves on time and dishes too. I do not see that there is any problem with freezing soup. In fact, I think it tastes better when I reheat the frozen portions on the stove. The flavors and seasonings have had a chance to marinate more. It should stay good in the freezer for a few months.

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is handy, but I am more and more amazed with what my kids are eating lately lol. They are so small (5 and 7 years old), but sometimes they eat more than me, how can that be? Either cases, I don't freeze anything anymore, we just eat it all.

3. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I don't freeze it, but I do put it in the fridge. It's typically just a tiny little bit that I cannot finish one night, so I save it for the next. Refrigerating it doesn't really diminish the taste, assuming you eat it the next day and you don't leave soups with ingredients that can spoil easily too long in there. Asian soups are usually clear, so this isn't really a problem. I've never tried freezing them though, and I'm not sure what that will do in regards to taste and texture.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, in the fridge for sure because I don't make soup daily, that would be insane. My soup lasts at least 3-4 days, but I don't freeze it because it seems funny when it comes out. I guess it's a matter of habit because with my first kid I froze it in small portions for him.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've often heard about people making lots of soup and freezing it, and apparently it's fine and actually very convenient. I've thought about doing it, but I haven't done it yet. Plus in as much as I do occasionally enjoy it, I find that I get very easily bored with soup. I couldn't eat it for days on end, it's something I have to have once in a blue moon. So this method wouldn't work for me, because I think you're also supposed to freeze it for no more than a month for it to remain fresh and tasty? I don't know how true that is, though.