Fresh Bread Of Pre-packaged Bread?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Feb 18, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Let's be honest, it's cheaper to buy certain brands of bread already prepped. But does that mean it's better? Does convenience outweigh cost? Is patronizing a bakery an old way of life or should it be the new one?

2. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I'd go for the fresh bread if I can get one easily. If the bakery's not to far away why not. Whether anyone buys fresh or prepackaged is mainly down to convenience. I don't hold any reservations on prepackaged bread as long as it isn't white bread and the ingredients are clearly posted.

3. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    No, I don't think fresh bread is better nutritionally for you, it just.. fresher. I usually buy the packaged ones and they're all baked the same day anyway; plus a big drawback where I live is that you have to go early in the morning for the fresh ones.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Fresh bread is my choice. Where I live there are a few bakeries, hence fresh bread doesn't really cost that much more than pre-packaged bread. However, the difference in taste is apparent. I've not bought store bread for many years now, and do not intend to.

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Once in a while I will buy fresh bread because I tend to prefer the taste. But at the end of the day, cost is an important factor for me. So on average I'll go for the pre-packaged bread, but on occasion I will treat myself.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If there's fresh bread when I get to the store, I'll opt for it. But if there's none, it's really no skin off my nose; I'll still buy the pre-packaged bread. I usually buy two loaves and freeze one and the bread always seems fresher anyway when I defrost it.

7. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I think that bread people buy at the store can still be better and right now I eat this kind. Making homemade bread at home is great but that can take a whole lot of time and some don't have that because of work. I also think pre-packaged bread from the grocery store can most definitely be fresh but you just have to pick the right kind. I'm not too picky when it comes to bread but I do like the healthy whole grain kind.

8. Danii

DaniiMember

Threads:
    Everytime I check the ingredients on pre-packaged bread, I cringe a little. I even found one which had artificial bread flavoring wtf?

I for one like baking my own and it's not hard to do so. It might help that I don't eat a lot of bread so one loaf lasts me a week. But what I really like are those artisanal bakeries that make amazing bread. Where I live they are requiered by law to state what they put in it so you know it won't have a tone of crap ingredients.

I think people who don't check ingredients before buying don't respect themselves as consumers.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fresh. Sicne most stores have bread slicing machines in them anyway, there's really no reason to buy prepackaged. The only time I've eaten prepackaged was when my roommate was on the grocery duty and got it.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat bread but I make it at home for my family whenever I find the time. It doesn't take long. The only time consuming task is the kneading, which takes about 20 minutes, but I don't mind. Also, in our neighborhood there are three bakeries that offer fresh bread every day. I can't remember the last time we bought packaged bread.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like both. I prefer fresh bread for sandwiches and pre-packaged bread for toast, or as an accompaniment to certain meals. There's little difference in price but the pre-packed is larger and lasts longer.