Fresh, Frozen, Or Instant Potatoes?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Sep 30, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which do you make more often: fresh, frozen, or instant potatoes? There are so many varieties these days, and so many flavors. There are many styles and ways to prepare them. You can buy a packaged version of pretty much every type of potato. So, do you or do you tend to make fresh potatoes more often?

I always have a bag of potatoes on hand. If you have potatoes, you won't go hungry. :)

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I used to make fresh mashed potatoes or anything potatoes. Now I wait for sales on instant mashed potatoes. Just put the hot water you've prepared from your coffee maker to the amount of instant mashed potato and it's ready to eat with a little butter, sour cream and bacon bits it's delicious! I just don't have the time any longer for fresh mashed potatoes. Instant helps a lot today with so little time to cook.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like fresh potatoes better than frozen potatoes. I will make my own french fries in my TFal Actifry rather than buy the frozen fries. The frozen ones are horrible. They lack taste and texture. It's cheaper to make your own fries and it's so easy. I have a potato chipper that makes the potatoes into fries sticks and pop them into the actifry. In twenty minutes you have the best homemade french fries. I love homemade mashed potatoes too. With a 10 pound bag of potatoes selling for under $4 you can't go wrong with making your own potato dishes.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not comfortable with frozen potatoes particularly the mashed potatoes because there might be preservatives and extenders. My sister had warned me on that because she had experienced buying a pack that turned out to be synthetic. So now the only potatoes we buy are the fresh ones with the skin.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The only frozen potatoes I’ve had were French fries, and I’m not too keen on those. I prefer fresh potatoes in general, but I did try some canned potatoes in soup a couple of times. Made it much more filling. It’s not something I would do frequently, but the convenience factor can’t be beat.

6. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Fresh. We don't eat potatoes too often in my house, but we prefer peeling and mashing our own. The only frozen taters in our house are french fries.

That said, I've found instant potatoes to be excellent as a batter for fish fillets. Pour some of the mix into a bowl, dip the fish into some egg and mayo, cover it in the potato mix, and throw it in the skillet. Delicious.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know that there was any such thing as frozen potatoes lol. Whatever they are, and whatever use they have, I have never had them and do not intend to have them. The most frequent manner in which I consume potatoes in our household is to cook them in the microwave for a few minutes, add some butter to them, and then some tuna and mayonnaise.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I'm like DreekLass I never even knew you could get frozen potatoes! I also wouldn't even like to try them. Potatoes are very easily accessible and reasonably priced, not to mention very easy to prepare. So I much prefer the fresh ones, for sure. I mean, that applies to most things, anyway. I've never once tried Smash, but it does look and sound vile. I bet it's processed to within an inch of its life and tastes horrible. I make some delicious mashed potatoes and it doesn't take me long. I'd rather stick with that LOL

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally with you - as not only are potatoes loaded with nutrients and one of the cheapest healthy filling foods that you can buy - but also excellent value for money too - particularly as - along with there now being so many varieties to choose from - as they are so versatile and easy to prepare that they can be used almost anyway you want - always having a bag of potatoes on hand would I agree - very definitely ensure that no one would ever go hungry.

As potatoes are a staple for me and I always prepare all meals from scratch as well as grow my own - I think it goes without saying - my preference is always fresh - but that said - I really enjoy eating them too and particularly like them baked, roast, fried, in salads, or added to casseroles - often use them for making stock or for thickening soups, stews and sauces etc as well - however - one of my real favorites - although as I rarely peel mine and have to make an exception here - are crispy potato peel fries - which are not only a great way of putting to good use - peels that would otherwise go to waste - but as they are a cross between a french fry and a potato chip - make extremely delicious and very popular healthy snack at little to no cost.

Oh and frozen potatoes - for those that appear to be somewhat confused as to what they are or think that they have never eaten them - well here's the thing - you probably have - as although they are generally in sold in most grocery stores - in the form of oven fries or in bags ready prepared for frying - they are without doubt - the reconstituted potato fry that is served in a large majority of restaurants and particularly - if getting a take out from any of the well known fast food restaurants.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I primarily make fresh potatoes. They are cheap and nutritious. As a matter of fact, I will be using a few today as I am making beef stew. I only use instant or frozen varieties if I am feeling lazy or am making them as an accompaniment to something.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like fried potatoes so I do have fresh when I can, but as I am conscious of my carb intake, I prefer to have the healthier mash option. Also as it's colder, I like mash as a side, so instant is quicker and also there is less pressure to eat the fresh potatoes so as not to waste them. I know I can mash them and freeze them, but it's not quite the same as freshly made.

When you cook for one, a bag of potatoes is too much, that's why I opt for mash or a small bag and then organize my meals around that for the week with potato salad and cottage pies.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I usually go for fresh or frozen potatoes, it depends on the amount of time I have to make something. Once in a while I buy the instant ones, but I only eat them when I'm in a rush.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Real spuds every time for me. Instant mash and frozen roasts/chips are dreadful. Plus, the real thing is far cheaper and much more nutritious.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that I do sometimes "cheat" and use the frozen hash browns or something like that. It depends on how much time I have and how well I feel.

Homemade mashed potatoes just can't be beat. So much better than that instant stuff.

I definitely prefer homemade French fries, even though I don't have them often. Carbs, you know. They are delicious though.

15. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I'll have to go with the fresh ones. Everything just tastes better when it is fresh and it also gives you a peace of mind knowing what went into your dish. We'll never know what extra 'goodies' are lurking in the frozen ones. My other reason for going with fresh potatoes are also because they tend to be much cheaper than buying frozen products! If you are a full-on potato fan, buying 5kg bags are often much cheaper and potatoes are pretty tough and can last quite a while if you keep them in a cool, dry and dark place!

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Frozen or instant potatoes aren't very popular here so I'm usually just stuck using regular ones, which I honestly don't mind that much at all. It's a pain to peel them but if I'm feeling lazy then I'll just boil them before peeling which makes the job ten times easier. Also, I've had a taste of instant mashed potatoes before and I didn't really like it all that much even though I found it alright because I have always preferred lumpy potatoes and those are just way too smooth to the point where it feels synthetic to me.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The idea of a frozen potato sounds excruciatingly awful to me, but maybe I just have the concept of what a frozen potato entails all screwed up. I am choosing to go with the latter explanation lol. I am not a fan of new potatoes. They are always very fresh when you bite into them, if that makes any sense. I like that mushy texture when I bit into my potatoes.

18. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I totally prefer fresh potatoes and use them 90% of the time when we are eating potatoes for a meal. I do like to get frozen hashbrowns and French fries, but I never do instant potatoes. Instant potatoes are way too gritty for my liking and they taste instant. If I am going to take the time to make potatoes, I always prefer them to be fresh so that I know they are the most healthy for my family.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I love potatoes in many different ways! Whether it's chips, mashed potatoes or just boiled potatoes, I always enjoy them. As long as the chips are just as good as say pub chips, I'm totally made up. I wouldn't like to be without potatoes :)

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have eaten fast food french fries, then you have eaten frozen potatoes. The fries/chips are sent to the fast food place frozen and then they fry them in a deep fryer.
    I've bought frozen french fries/chips at the supermarket and deep fried them. They tasted okay but homemade chips taste better. When people talk about frozen potatoes, they mean chips , fries or hash browns that are precooked and then frozen.