From The Toilet To The Tap

Discussion in Water started by explorerx7 • Feb 12, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I saw it on KTLA California news how water from sewage was processed and transformed into tap quality water. It's not yet being used as tap water, however, there is the possibility of the transformed water flowing through the tap in the near future. Without being told that it is transformed sewage water, it would be almost impossible to make the distinction that it wasn't water from the regular source.
    Mind over matter would make it extremely difficult for me to consume this water if I know it's origin. Would you be able to to consume this water if u knew from where it had originated?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No and it is not the right thing to do. Bathroom water is different from tap water always. I'd get on the horn at facebook and twitter and contact all elected and would ask them not to transform the drinking water to come from toilet water ever! I'd search for articles about the health and safety issues if they start doing such illegal things and stop it from happening. I'd go all the way to the top if necessary too like Congress to stop them from transforming toilet water for drinking water too. I'd get petitions started via Congress elected and stop the process completely and to have the water system never even attempt such a transformation forever. I'd somehow let the news get a hold of the story too so it will never happen!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Astronauts in the International Space Station will be [or already do] drink recycled waste water and urine.

I believe there'll come a time when all water will have to be recycled. When we have no options everyone will have to use that water but before then I doubt that anyone would want to use recycled water.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think with so many countries experiencing the worst of years long droughts, that's where we may be headed. It's a very worrying thought. I too wouldn't want to know where the water came from, because I don't think I'd be able to drink it. As it stands, my husband and I stick to bottled water because a few years ago the American Embassy in Botswana conducted tests on the water supplied by the government to the masses.

They found it to be 'toxic" and not fit for human consumption because of the combination of chemicals used to purify it. The findings also suggested that although there may not be any apparent health implications in the short term, there would devastating ones in the future. So we simply don't drink water straight from the mains.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a wake up call for all of us to start conserving our water now because as what @Denis Hard@Denis Hard says, there will come a time when we really have no choice but to recycle water for us to be able to survive. We are experiencing El Nino almost everywhere and the dry spells are so severe in some places. I couldn't imagine myself drinking water that has been recycled from the sewage system right now but we'll never know when we will have to consume it because of having no choice at all.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually thought this was happening already in some places. I definitely would have difficulty drinking recycled waste/toilet water. I have health conditions that already lead to chronic dehydration, and I surely don't need a mental block to prevent me from using the tap water for tea, coffee and cooking, which is what I use it for now. I drink bottled, but since the water is being cooked via the other methods, I don't have a filter system on the tap these days.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The mind is very powerful in matters of ingestion. I am trying to imagine being told that the water I have just consumed comes from sewage. On the face of it, human psychology will take it to be disgusting. But reason prevails and I would enjoy such water more than regular tap water. In fact come to think of it, it should be sold at a premium which is not the case.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is pretty disgusting to think about really. Fortunately, we don't have critical water problems in this area, but I can see that the bottled water business is probably going to grow by leaps and bounds if sewage is going to be converted into tap water. I mean one slip of the water purfication process and you are going to have multiple contaminants in your water. I would sooner see desalination employed than something like sewage conversion.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No way. Why would anyone attempt to clean water that's already contaminated or dirty in the first place? How sure are they that after the filtering and disinfection procedures, sewage water transforms into 100% quality water? That, for me, is just impossible. And why on earth would you settle for sewage water when you can actually convert less harmful and much cleaner fresh or salt water into potable water? How preposterous.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are countries that do not have the filtration systems we have to clean their water and have had to deal with these types of situations for years. It has been very dry in parts of the country like California. When we lived in California we saw lots of homeowners pave in their grass because there was no water for the lawns.