Frugal Funeral in Case of Emergency death

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Athenagdlyt • May 23, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, funeral expenses become one of the last priorities in the family budget. With the very bad economic situation in many countries, not everyone has a pre-paid funeral plan. It has been a long-standing tradition in many societies that funerals are often as costly as weddings. If the family of the departed is not financially ready for sudden deaths, what is the cheapest option for funeral and burial services?
    Have you experienced or witnessed similar situations?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was an article about this situation in the local paper a couple of years ago. Many families don't claim their loved ones bodies from the coroner. After a certain number of days, the county holds a group cremation and the ashes are buried. Prepaid is the best way to go. I have heard that some families and communities hold fundraisers to help cover burial costs.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, group cremation is indeed an acceptable and decent way to get buried rather than just not claiming the body from the coroner. I think cremation is "cheap enough" for middle income families, but for those really poor ones, there must be a government sponsored program for this.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Have the wake for only over night, or 2 days and two nights. Get the cheapest. I think cremation is cheaper and if so, then just rent a coffin and then have the dead cremated or if you are really that short of money, then you could just go directly to cremation right after the dead can be cremated and then have the wake for his ashes. In this way, you would be saved from renting a coffin. And then stop renting the funeral transportation services. Bring the ashes yourself and put them at home to save most of your money. Because buying a niche would have to be again expensive, it's not practical to buy one. Or if you already have a relative who died and his urn is put in a niche, then the ashes of your dead could just share with that niche. Hope this helps!

5. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I want to be cremated, not because of any cheap cost, it's just what I want.

With burial, pre-pay is indeed the way to go, and helps families SO much. That helped my mother a LOT with my step dad. It also helped other family members on the other side of the family when they did it too.

Life insurance is what pays many people's 'final expenses'. But you can also put in a c.d and give to loved ones and tell them to use that for you.

Whatever you can do ahead of time saves relatives a TON of mess! I know this first hand with both sides of family.