Frugal Gardening

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Oct 29, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy herbicides or spend too much time weeding your garden?

In another thread we discussed how one could permanently get rid of weeds. But since such a method can't be used in your garden, here's something that could be helpful and wouldn't cost you a penny.

Go to your local library and ask them for old newspapers in their recycle bin > back home, unfold the newspapers and lay them between your vegetables. This would deprive the weeds of sunlight and in a week or two they'll be dead.

Should you want to you can use the newspapers along with other organic mulching materials like grass cuttings, etc which you can then use as compost material when you feel the mulch needs to be replaced.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the great tips! I have also heard that grass clippings can be used as a good form of organic mulch - although all mulch is supposed to help the weed problem, I don't think grass would necessarily stop weeds but rather might encourage it. That being said, I have heard if you make sure to weed very well before laying down your mulch and then make sure your mulch is very thick - it will discourage the weeds from growing. You should lay it 4 to 6 inches thick! Grass clippings give your garden a nitrogen boost.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used the newspaper as a weed killer, it does work. Cover the newspaper with mulch to make it look better, the thicker the layers of paper the better. The newspaper will breakdown and feed the soil as it breaks down.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a great tip! I've never heard of doing that before but it makes perfect sense. Much easier than digging weeds out individually and far kinder to the environment than weedkiller. Completely free as well! Thanks : )