Funny Tight-Fisted Stories

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by PhilA • Aug 21, 2014.

1. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I love saving money as much as the next person, that's why I'm here! But I bet most of us know someone who goes a bit too far. I have a friend at work who is the most tight-fisted (English term for fear of spending money) person I know. Some examples of what he does for money that in my opinion crosses the line;

- won't allow people over his house in case they use anything
    - steals tea bags from work to take home
    - pee's In his back garden to save water from flushing the toilet
    - generally refuses to spend anymoney, on anything that is not essential

It's worth me pointing out that he has a very well paid position, I think he just has some internal problems.

Any other crazy examples out there?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People who are cheap like that might be doing well now, but probably experienced traumatic poverty in their lives before and fear being there again.
    I've had some hardships, so I can relate to taking home a couple of teabags from the break room at work or taking a couple of extra napkins when I get fast food.
    The world is set up to take our money. I work like a dog, yet things like late fees and overdraft fees and hidden fees, take money that I could be using for my daughter.
    I never turn down anything free that is offered to me and I waste as little money as possible because the world is a nasty ,harsh place and life as a single parent is a fight for survival.

3. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, some things on the list are amusing. No one really get's rich by spending a lot, so your friend may be after something and he is actually really good at it than others are. I never turn down free things, so that I may re sell it again, but that is something that rarely ever happens.

I do sugar packets or ketchup and other essentials that people don't mind me having. Like in Shake Shack, they have their little ketchup dispensaries and little plastic containers - I love it.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't see this as a big deal so long as you're not abusing it.

As in, if you actually buy something from Shake Shack and you take home a few extra ketchup packets or something, then fine.

But if you're going into the place and just taking the packets, then it comes down to stealing....and is more than frugal! (which I know some people have done, ew).