Furniture

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ExpertAdvice • Dec 26, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes we allow our furniture in our house to reach a state of dilapidation, and then, we end up having to buy a new set of furniture, I think if we refurbished them every three years or so we'll see them serving us longer, refurbishing can range from, changing screws and parts on a furniture, to ensuring that it is kept clean at all times all over, and! to ensure also that it is not damaged. Inspection plays a big part in furniture care, so I would implore you all to do so, please share some of the ways that you try to take care of your furniture

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Plastic! Cover all your furniture in plastic! Well, I am making a stereotypical joke and partially being truthful about this, because using plastic is a very effective covering for all furniture, especially couches - however I do not use it for beds, because it makes too much noise and is not comfortable at all. For wooden furniture, a few layers of wax will do good to protect it from deterioration, which I do once a year or whenever it appears to be faded. For metal furnitures, I give a good polish with isopropyl alcohol and dust it down every once a month. Biggest thing I do to keep my furniture to last as long as possible, avoid having kids jump on them!

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought that I had to strip and repaint my dining table in order to get rid of the scratches, but I saw a bottle of a product that you wipe on and it hides the scratches, so I'm going to try that when I move. I'm in a temporary place right now and taking a hard look at my furniture to decide what is going with me to my next place.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I find that covers can do wonders to old furniture. Of course, if you have the time and the inclination, you can also do polishing and re-varnishing. Using a cover is a quick fix. Just about any furniture can be covered. And the covers don't have to be anything expensive. You can get lots of stuff at the secondhand clothes shops. Just cannibalize the material to make the covers.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our household, e recently purchased a new three piece suite. Our old sofas and couches were actually fungused I think. Like, they had dark patches on them that did not look appealing at all. I wasn't sure if they were an accumulation of all of the spillages that the kids had committed over the years, or something else. Either way, my mother - as well as everyone else - felt that they had to go. So we recently purchased a leather three piece, and they are so much easier to clean. We don't eat in the front room anymore wither, because we also got new carpet.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    In our house, my dad makes sure that that all the furniture are kept in proper manner and are furnished at least once in a while. We do not allow dust to gather on the furniture for a long time. I prefer to clean them up regularly. I hope to have a my furniture for a few more years by keeping them clean and neat.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:

This is what I have been doing for a long time with a throw blanket over the back or over the arms. You can always find throws that fit the theme in your home which adds new life for chairs and sofas. An occasional toss in the wash and dry then repeat as needed.