Gag Gift Boxes - Yay Or Nay?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by joyful728 • Nov 10, 2015.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    What are you thoughts on wrapping gifts in a prank gift box?

I was at a baby shower recently where the gift was wrapped in a box for an item called "crib dribbler". (Google it - It is a like a water feeder for a mouse, but instead for a baby that you hang in the crib). The mom was like, um, uh "So, did you use this?" Lol.

There are other park gift boxes such as a device that you can attach your iphone to your steering wheel, bacon flavored dryer sheets, etc.

Would you ever give a gift like this? Do you think they are tacky or funny?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:No I would not give gag gifts to anyone, because it may hurt their feelings and sever your friendship too. Gag gifts are never good to give. If you don't know what to give I know that gift cards are always welcomed. I think that gag gifts are very irresponsible to give to anyone even if you know them for a long time. People are touched when you give them gifts. How would you feel if you got a rose that squirt at you, I wouldn't like it would you? No to gag gifts forever! I believe gag gifts are a put-down.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would only consider giving such a gift if there is a real and practical gift that will accompany the prank gift, so that the person who would get the gift will not be offended and will have a laugh upon realizing the the initial prank gift was only given just so that they can laugh, and also to surprise them.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of gag gifts but maybe there are one or two that will turn out to be to my liking. For the most part I don't think they are a good use of money, as I'd rather spend the money on something nice or practical rather than something that will be good for a laugh for a few days or weeks. However, if the person I'm giving it to has that type of sensibility then I wouldn't be too uppity to give them what fits their personality either, but I think it would have to be a product that I can agree with as I don't like giving money to gag gift companies that are too cheesy and lack genuineness and creativity.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These are only good for certain personalities, say someone with a sense of humor at an 18th birthday party, not a baby shower. If it was me I would have been offended. Gifts at a baby shower are supposed to be helpful, the same as an engagement or a wedding gift.

Prank gifts should only be given among close friends. Personally I see them as tacky, useless and a waste of money.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Theo, you took the words right out of my mouth! I HATE novelty gifts and my colleagues at my previous job loved them because they found them funny. I was comfortable enough with them to make it clear that if anyone got me one, it would promptly go in the bin. I don't find them funny at all, and see them as nothing but clutter and a waste of money. I would therefore never get one for anybody.