Game Store Or Wallmart

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by tasha • Jul 9, 2015.

1. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Game stores in South Africa was recently taken over by wallmart and I have to say that they do have a variety of things but it is not cheap and their refund policy is a little stupid. I also found that going into the store you really have to know what you are buying and be sure that it is what you like as if you want to return the item it is going to be a very big deal and really not worth the hassle. I would recommend avoiding that store altogether and going elsewhere.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Florida, we have GameStop and they used to be cool back in 2000 and have discount bins full of cool old games at cheap prices. Now they have crappy trade in prices and limited selection, so I buy all my games on Amazon, or at Walmart if I need the game right away for a gift. With so many PTC sites giving away Walmart gift cards, I usually get the games with my earnings from Swagbucks or whatever site, which you can't really do at a game store.

I don't value the "expertise" of GameStop employees because I know as much about video games as they do ,despite being a 40 year old woman.

3. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Game store here is a huge outlet that sells everything from clothing to food to electrical and home gear. I know of a game store that sells pc and playstation games that also has no experience and try sell the kids whatever they can but never give a refund if it is a bad purchase.

4. hosewalker

hosewalkerMember

Threads:
    I've always found game stores to be much better than big-box superstores for games. The prices are usually a bit steeper but the experience is way better. I've found that game stores also have better sales that big-box retailers even if they are few and far between. I have a couple of game stores in my area and I don't know your exact situation so I can't really judge.

5. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    If you have to buy games new, WalMart is going to be a better option. Game Store has a policy that deems a game used once you open it, and they won't give you full credit. I hardly ever buy games new anymore from either place. Just hang out a week, any buy it used from GS, and save a few bucks.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days, there's really no distinction between Walmart, other retailers, and dedicated video gaming retailers. You're going to see similar selections and prices, although the general retailers might lack use game options. The average person won't realize any benefit for going to a gaming store instead of a general retailer like Walmart nine times out of 10. At this point, you don't have much of a reason to choose one option over the other, to be honest.

7. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    If my husband is buying a game new and completely with cash, he uses walmart. That doesn't actually happen often. Usually he uses GameStop because he can buy games used or use trade-in credit as part of the purchase price. Three months ago, he traded in a whole system and all of his games for it and got such a large store credit that he's still buying things with it.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Not a huge gamer or Wal-mart fan, but between choosing a gaming store or Wally World, I'd probably go with Wal-Mart. Simply for the fact that they have the best prices around. I used to game and I wasn't impressed by the prices or customer service of stores such as Game Stop.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Walmart and other department stores have game aisles, but Best Buy offers discounts not available in other store, while the latest game titles are easily found for sale or rent at the local Blockbusters.

10. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I never had any similar problems with Walmart to be honest, even if I'm not among their fans, still I have to say that whenever I returned an item they did it without much hassle.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also have a huge Game store here in Gaborone, the capital city of Botswana. I personally like it, and although the staff are not outstanding, they're not outright rude either. I like that you can get everything, except clothes under the same roof. I'd even go so far as to say the prices are competitive, to the point where I often use Game as a gauge. Granted, Botswana is ridiculously expensive as as we import everything from South Africa! I've luckily never had to return anything, so I don't know much about their returns policy. But overall, I'm happy with our Game.

12. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I usually price out both stores whenever we are looking to buy a game. I will use GameStop or the like when my son or husband has decided they no longer want or need a game they have. Gamestop will buy used games and issue store credit. When my husband's old gaming console died, they bought it and all the games that went with it and the credit really helped out in the purchase of a new system.

13. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Other then Gamestop I don't know many single standing stores they sell games. I typically go to Wallmart or Target to buy games (video games or board games). I think the prices here are also a lot cheaper then GameStop. However, my brother will only shop at GameStop, he says they have a much larger selection of video games and are actually "knowledgeably" about the games.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you mentioned this, @tasha because I'm from right round the corner from you, Botswana. -and for a minute there I was getting a little confused because we too have Game stores, which are Walmart owned LOL We don't have as much variety as you guys probably do, so game can be very competitive. I don't often shop there myself as I live a bit far from it. Maybe you really notice that it's pricey if you shop there regularly IDK.

15. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh really! Botswana is nice. Walmart has just recently taken over the game stores but I tell you what, the prices have gone up the service is bad and we wont mention quality either. I do know that when you return an item don't expect a refund and a credit voucher is all that they will give you even when you tell them that you don't want to buy from their store.

I was talking about the store called Game. It is a supermarket kind of place but the game store you are talking about is something that they could use in our country for sure!

16. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    Oh my goodness, yes! The trade-in prices are insulting! I went to trade-in an almost $70 game and they said they would give me $10 for it! Like, what?! How they could even fix their mouths to say that is beyond me. Needless to say, I turned right on around and walked out. There is NO way I'm taking such a low amount of money for a new and popular game.

17. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    It kills me to know that an expensive game that we have worked hard to get for our son, gets exchanged for nothing! I get so angry about it and I have now stopped it from happening because we get more for it selling it in the newspaper and he can then go and almost buy a new one

18. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I can't stand walking into Walmart. Lately it seems as if they're prices aren't that low and they definitely don't have a reward program. No, they junk gas does not count. Preferably if there is a Game Stop near by I would rather stop there. Not only is there new and used selection with a wide range of products but there usually isn't a lack of staff.

19. april1984

april1984New Member

Threads:
    I would say game shop more options there you can look at and when they have deals/savings you can get some pretty good deals

20. Lupa06

Lupa06New Member

Threads:
    I shop for games at Walmart. Anytime I need info on a game and what to purchase I consult my brother who knows an abundance about games. Also, here in Canada you can price match the item at Walmart, which means if any other store is selling it much cheaper I can just show the flyer or app to Walmart and they match the price.