GameFly

Discussion in Product Reviews started by vpresson • Nov 4, 2013.

1. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does anyone here use GameFly? I just recently started using it and I love it for 15 bucks a month not only do you get games sent to you but you have unlimited pc play as well. I love it and works perfectly for me and my husband because with him he loves to play games on his xbox and I like playing on my pc more so it works perfect. What do you guys think?

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy using it when they offer me a free month or so. The problem I have is that when I play a game I really don't have the time to run through it quickly. With Netflix, the movie is at most three hours. With a (good) game it can be so many more. So, if I were to pay I would not be too keen on getting to a game a month. Other than that I enjoy the service. It helps me try out a game before buying it.

3. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I would not know anything about using Netflix. The only thing I can recommend is getting it only if you will actually use it and if it will actually benefit you. There is no reason to get a Netflix membership if you don't use Netflix all the time.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I use GameFly and it is a pretty good service. It is really good if you want to try some games out. They have a lot of games in their collection and it is good that I can play some games that I didn't before.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard about GameFly until now that you are mention it, but I doubt I could use such service because while I like to play games on my computer, this is very occasionally.

As Joan noted, playing games involves too much time, and most of the time I'm working or have something else to do than playing.

Wish I could play over 12 hours a day as I used to do over a decade ago, put with my PlayStation.

6. vpresson

Threads:
    You can keep the game for how long you want there is no due date when the game has to be back or anything.

Gamefly isn't neflix or related to it. It's a gamer site where you pay a monthly fee to rent games you get to keep the games for as long as you like and you can even buy it from gamefly if you decided you like the game and you want to keep it.

7. LALucien

LALucienNew Member

Threads:
    Yo, GameFly is pretty good in my opinion based on one small thing really.
    I originally had an account with a site called 'direct 2drive' which was the same thing but, just a different company and I only had 1 game with them which was COD4. A few years after getting COD4, changing PC's and starting over, I wanted to see if I could Re-download COD, so went over to Direct2Drive to see if I could, only to find that it had been changed to GameFly! I was shocked and thought that I had probably lost my game and account, however, I tried my D2D account details and it worked 1st time and to my surprise, my COD download was still in there and I downloaded it straight away with no problems!
    I was so impressed that I have continued to use the service since till today.
    It does have a decent catalogue and some great offers sometimes, like I got COD for something like £3.99 at time when it was still around £19.99. I just had a look on the site now and I see they're having a 'Fallout' series sale, Fallout 3 GOTE for 4.99! You can't beat deals like that (unless you've got Steam - Which I also use and is great).

The only thing I dislike about both Gamefly & Steam is that you have to use their downloader applications to download the files, which can be slow at times as opposed to just giving us the files directly, and of course its an extra (small though) download to deal with.

All in all though, good service, reliable and great reassurance that you wont lose your purchases should anything happen to your machine!

8. vpresson

Threads:
    I agree and the cool thing is that If you decided you want to keep the game you can buy it straight from gamefly.

I agree you need the free time to play the games. My husband gets the physical games and I use the computer games. My husband often gets week long time off work so he has a lot of time to play them.

Agree it does suck that you have to use their downloader but I guess its worth it for the unlimited pc free play you get.

9. Exsheel

ExsheelNew Member

Threads:
    Ah, Gamefly. I always heard about this but at the time it was really big I never had a console. So, when I eventually started playing my 360 again, I decided to try them out. Gamefly is pretty awesome, but annoying at the same time. The unlimited duration of keeping games is very nice, but only allowing two out at a time is a bummer to me. I think you can choose more for a higher monthly price, but when I signed up that wasn't an option. It may have been because I was simply on a 1-month trial. Some of the downsides are the whole que-type system, where it's a matter of who rented the game first, even for new releases that won't be out for several months. I remember renting Max Payne 3, and even after it had already been out for a few months, it still took about 3 and a half weeks to get it, which only gave me another week or so to play it. Plus, it's kind of like any video rental place in which the games aren't gaurenteed to come to you in a great condition. The copy I received was incredibly scratched and looked like someone let their dog lick it with how many streaks and smudges were on it.

HOWEVER, the actual thing in it's entirety is pretty awesome, and as soon as I can get some finances again I'll most likely start up my subscription once more. Still quite a few games I'd like to play without having to worry about returning them in a week to get my money back at Gamestop.

10. Scipio

ScipioNew Member

Threads:
    I’ve seen GameFly commercials a lot when I used to watch programs like G4TV. Though at the time, I was still going to Blockbuster. Now, I just look at reviews and watch a few videos of walkthroughs and gameplays before deciding to buy something or not.

I’m not really one to try and finish a game too quickly, and sometimes I’ll just end up trying to rent a few games before realizing I should just save up for cash. Though maybe when I get a better PC, I may invest into GameFly.

11. Shana

ShanaMember

Threads:
    I like Gamefly. I'm not using it right now since I've been too busy to play games at all, but it really is just Netflix for games which is great! And $15 a month is not bad at all and way better then buying a new game every time you want one at $60 each! Games are just so expensive now on these next gen systems that Gamefly is just so great to make everything a bit more affordable.

12. Exsheel

ExsheelNew Member

Threads:
    Are you saying after you'll get a better PC, you'll invest in Gamefly for Consoles, right? Gamefly has unlimited PC play but the games available aren't anything good. It's mainly just a lot of Nancy Drew point and click games and several clones of it, along with some VERY dated games. (Early 2000's). Gamefly doesn't rent out PC games, since that'd be a bit comical. It's mainly for consoles.

13. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I messed up on my previous post, so I will do it over now. I won't lie I am a fan of Gamefly, even though I don't have it. I just like everything they have to offer customers I mean you can't beat it for the price. Especially since you get to keep the games for as long as you want.

14. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have Gamefly about 6 years ago. I tried it for the first month free because it got some sort of promotion. I liked it because I was able to rent two games at the time, and I didn't have to return the games back until I finished the games.

15. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I think Gamefly works well but sometimes it seems to take forever for them to send me my next game and there isn't a lot of copies of certain games.

16. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I am thinking of trying this for the kids during summer break. I think we would defiantly get out moneys worth out of it. I did not know you had access to PC games as well, that would be great for me! I have seen many promo's, all I think are a month for free. Netflix did that and we have had it now for 3 years lol. I am just not sure we would use enough during the school year but definitely going to be trying it in June.

17. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I used GameFly for my PC gaming needs until about a year ago. The PC gaming aspect of it felt archaic and bland. Prices weren't great either. Their download service was also slow. I have never used it for console games, though I heard previously that it's pretty good and the posts here seems to confirm this. I have since moved away from GameFly and is using other digital PC game download services like Steam.

18. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoyed it. I think a system like Netflix for games would be a lot more successful if there were a way to electronically pass the game to the system directly and take it back when applicable. Dealing with the USPS was the worst part of the plan for me. Other than the time issue I personally have (which is of no fault but my job).

19. DebValentine

DebValentineNew Member

Threads:
    Its great to hear that game fly is working so well now. When I tried it, it was soooo slow and they didn't offer the download service. I may have to try it out just for the download aspect. I use steam as well, but if I don't want to keep a game more than a few tries, I still have to buy the whole game unless I only use the demos.

20. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    If you are a gamer that likes to play a lot of titles and is known for not playing much of a game after beating it, then GameFly is right for you. When I used to have it, I don't remember having any problems with their service. Getting as much games as I wanted was a huge plus and it allowed me to play games that I wouldn't normally buy for such a hefty amount of money. It's great for the guy who is has a tight budget but still wants to get their hands on all of the latest games. I definitely recommend it!