Gardening Tools

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Jun 13, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever used a scythe or sling blade?

I have a ditch I need to keep clean, and the mower won't work in it. I've tried edgers/weed eaters, but there always seems to be a problem with the string, or they get caught on the vines, and they're extremely heavy. I would like something lighter weight, so I'm considering getting a scythe or sling blade, because the ditch isn't that big, and the side portion I'd also use it on is also pretty small.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not had any experience with eith of those tools. Have you tried using vinegar on the vines to kill them, it may be a temporary situation but it will allow you to pull up some of the vines after they die.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have a scythe that came with a lot of tools I bought at a auction but I don't use it. I believe it is for taller grasses or stalks.

@Diane Lane@Diane Lane. A tip for the weed eater as I have watched a team of city workers use them on empty lots with knee high grass. They start the machines at the lowest point near the ground and the grass just falls down working right to left or vise versa.

With my own weed eater I've learned not to have too long of a string to keep it from getting tangled up maybe about an inch showing. I hope this helps.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks @Pat@Pat I have tried vinegar, as well as chemical weed killers, and nothing seems to work on these dang Texas weeds!

@MrsJones@MrsJones I have a lot of physical issues, and haven't found a weedeater/trimmer, etc. that I can use effectively, due to their weight. A friend even rigged a strap for me (and herself, as well, since we both have shoulder issues), but it's still very painful.

I watched a few videos of people using the scythes and related tools, and looked around at online websites, and they seem much lighter than the machines. The manual tools seem to involve a little more twisting of the body, but I think I'll be able to manage that better than the weight of the machine.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only gardening tool I know is the trowel, hahahaaa. I am not the farmer in the house so it is okay. We actually have several garden tools in the garage like the cutter, it is like a pliers that is used to cut small branches. We also have the lever that we use in digging holes aside from the spade. There are still some more but I will have to ask the names.