Gardens in Apartments

Discussion in Home & Garden started by GoldenWing • Jan 8, 2015.

1. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Maybe 'garden' isn't the right word but eh.

So, I have been interested on creating some sort of small garden somewhere in my apartment. I always had an interest in gardening, but unfortunately as I live in an apartment I can't say I have a yard where I can plant one.

Is there some way I could have some sort of garden in my apartment? There's a room I could use, so space isn't really a problem. I have considered getting some large pots and other similar stuff, but I'm not sure if it'd be correct.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of edible plants that you can grow in your apartment. It all depends on the light and space that you have. I have successfully grown miniature wall gardens in my lounge room in the past, cultivating cherry tomatoes, chilis, cucumbers, basil, and much more. If you have a balcony or some other outdoor space, you can easily store two small compost bins there for all your scraps. They won't attract any vermin if you do it right. Check out the internet for more creative ideas. Good luck with everything! :)

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, there are LOTS of edible things you can grow inside if you have the light, space, and patience. It often does take a bit more work than growing out out of doors but can be worth it if you genuinely enjoy gardening. I'd actually recommend just googling plants you're interested in growing and seeing what is said about growing them indoors. You may be surprised at how much you can do!

You may also want to look into community gardens near you and see if you can sign up for a plot of actual land if that's more your speed!

4. guineapigsandgardens

guineapigsandgardensMember

Threads:
    I currently have a container garden that I am starting at my apartment. I am growing herbs, tomatoes, onions, lettuce and whatever else strikes my fancy. The easiest way to get this started is with a seed starting tray and some potting mix. If you don't want to invest in the starter trays, use a milk jug. Just cut it in half and you have a ready made green house. Right now it's a bit chilly where I am, so I'm keeping my stuff in doors until it gets warmer.