Generic brands

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Mar 18, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying your food do you go for the brand products or do you buy generic brands? To be honest I think that many times it's even the same product and that we are just paying extra for their marketing. As I don't eat marketing, I buy generic brands whenever I can!

2. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I agree, do you have Great Value foods at your supermarket? They're the Wisconsin off-brand and they honestly are just as fine as the regulars but usually anywhere from 50 cents to 2 bucks cheaper. It adds up very fast.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you mean Great Value foods? It's just a generic name for some products? I am in Portugal so I've never heard of such thing. Some supermarkets do have special corridors for discount products, pretty neat, everything there is super cheap.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy generic if I know that brand is good enough and can be deemed safe. If it is the store brand which is the brand of the grocery I would trust it because I know that the grocery will not want any lawsuits on their hands, but it am a bit more skeptical with smaller brands because I start to imagine what their factories must look like or how much they are able to compete with the quality and cleanliness of the facilities of the bigger companies, but I do give them a shot once in a while especially with enough research on the matter.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have here the Bonus brand which represents the generic items. It is the product of SM hypermart, the biggest chain of supermarket here. They just repack the products and put their brand Bonus. It is cheap, all right, but the quality is questionable. We had sampled the Bonus pasta and the people in our house didn't like it. In fact, there were some leftovers, unusual for a spaghetti. Some other items like rice are also of low quality.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy products of generic brands, especially things like cleaning products, tissues, varieties. I am a little more careful for food items, but still I will frequently get those in generic brands. I have bought cooking oil, milk, cereal bars, pasta, sauces. And to be honest in some of these I don't see any difference at all. Some are different, of course, however there still good quality .

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I can I get generic brands for most everything. I find the quality is good to just the same as name brand. But when there is a good sale like $5 Fridays at Safeway I get the deal if it's a good one and it's all name brand at Safeway too! I love the prices the best for generic products!