Generic gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Theo • Oct 24, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy many gifts these days, but I do buy generic ones that I can give to anyone as a last minute standby. I usually get gloves, scarves or tins or boxes of chocolates and cookies.

I find it more practical and I can always eat the chocolates or cookies myself and everyone likes a spare pair of gloves or a scarf for winter.

2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    That's a really good idea; I'd never thought of it before. I'm going to start stocking up on stuff like this when I see good sales. It will really take the stress out of coming up with last minute gifts and being unsure of the person's tastes. All of these things are pretty safe, and people are bound to like them. I like your idea of eating the chocolates or cookies if push comes to shove. Why let it go to waste? :)

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've done that in the past- not necessarily incredibly "generic" gifts but ones that could be used for a few different occasions/people. I had a box of them, so if I ended up forgetting or having too much going on, I'd still have something to wrap up and give. But I don't really enjoy that as much...I like the whole process of getting a gift for someone. Spending some time and effort getting something for them specifically, that I know they will really enjoy and then seeing them receive it :).

4. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree. Buying gifts specific to what you know a person would find great delight in shows that you care more to make that person's smile bigger. And watching the person open the gift and get such enjoyment out of it is always heartwarming to see. Generic gifts don't really provide that experience. Out of the list of items though, I would and have gifted chocolates to my grandmom, only because I know she particularly loves chocolates.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea! Right now my favorite spare gifts are composition books where I find pretty pictures in magazines and mod podge over them. They come out pretty cute and they only take less than 30 minutes to make. It's the best personalized generic gift that I like to make other than baking.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I keep some of these types of gifts at home too for when I need emergency gifts like if I I forget to buy something or just don't have the time to shop. Mostly I just have some brand new sets of lotion or towels, and shirts, etc. I also have some generic gifts that I myself have received but don't plan on using and I can easily just regift them if needed but I usually keep it as a very last option since I'd much more prefer to just use them because they were gifts to me.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy generic gifts when there are corporate events such as Christmas parties and Anniversaries. Otherwise, I buy personalized ones. I love thinking about the gifts that I will give to my friends or family members. :)

8. Shruti05

Shruti05New Member

Threads:
    Hi,

I am having the same perception about generic gifts, These are the most common gifts that generally we like to give in a short period of time, and if we talk about the corporate gifting now a days corporates are looking for the customized gifts with embossing of company logo. Everyone wants to try some quirky and exclusivity in the gifts, Personalized gifts are also best way to show your love to your loved ones.