Generic Items

Discussion in Product Reviews started by BonnyC • Apr 12, 2012.

1. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it's about the quality of items, I guess the reviews section is appropriate enough.

Are there any items that you will buy only the generic or brand name version of? Do you not care either way and will get the one that is on sale or cheaper?

I would never get generic/off brand coffee. The kinds I have tried are totally disgusting. I will only buy it if I have no other choice and I'd try to borrow some first. I also avoid off brand mac and cheese, mayonnaise, creamer and cheese. There's more, but it doesn't come to mind. Oh, I won't buy off brand cat food, either. Even if it's the mock flavor of their usual food. Somehow, they know the difference and will starve before they'll touch it.

I will happily buy off brand baking supplies, sugar (though I only use truvia in my coffee) paper towels, jelly, bread and more.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy generic when I can as long as it is cheaper and I can get the same quality. I have been disappointed more than once and now I know what items to not get as generic. I have one exception and that is medium Tillamook cheddar cheese. I have never been able to find a suitable generic or store brand to replace the Tillamook.

3. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I will buy generic baking staples like sugar, flour, baking soda, ect.. I will also buy generic cleaning supplies, paper plates, plastic forks, and things like that. My family does not like generic vegetables, macaroni and cheese, or soups. I normally have to add a lot of flavor if I buy any can food in a generic brands. I find that meats are better if you get them from a major retailer, versus a discount store.

4. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    I usually by the generic cheap brand if I can. Unless I Know otherwise, peanut butter tends to taste the same. Same with cereal. If it saves me a few dollars why not?

5. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    There are some kinds of products that I prefer buying the brand name version of them. For example, clothes and foods. However, when I want to buy electronic stuff, generic products are a good option, only if you don't care about the product quality,

6. mbc221

mbc221New Member

Threads:
    More often than not, there are stores that mostly sell generic over known brands around my area. Cleaning products are usually only generic around here, and they're not that bad. I wouldn't buy most generic foods though, or clothes. Cleaning supplies are fine though, cause they're cheaper, and they do work.

MBC

7. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Like you, it depends. I but mostly fresh food so I do not have an issue there too much. One item I buy name brand is aluminum foil. That may sound silly, but the off brand is super thin and low quality. I also buy the more expensive bagels because the generic ones are flat and hard.

8. MegaZx

MegaZxNew Member

Threads:
    I would tend to buy generic items like cleaning supplies, toys, computer devices, and I would buy some generic foods. I would only buy generic foods from Aldi, since it is cheap and sometimes it tastes better than the original in my opinion. Such as Pizza Bagels in some stores are more expensive than Bagel Pizzas in Aldi. I prefer to shop at supermarkets like Jewel Osco or Dominick though. It depends on the material the things are made out of or the vouches I got from my friends or family that had tried it in the past and actually liked it.

9. dkramarczyk

dkramarczykMember

Threads:
    I will never buy generic Oreos. They just don't seem to taste the same. Not to mention the packaging is so much more appealing and has the nice easy seal on it so that you don't have to try to find something else to put them in.

10. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I usually purchase generic unless its something that I need a specific brand of. For the most part everything we purchase is either generic or a less expensive not so mainstream brand. We have just a few things we splurge on like baking goods, meats and things of that nature. If you need to save this is a great way!

11. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Depends on what I'm buying too. I would never buy generic food or anything I use on my body (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc.). I just feel I'm 'safer' with branded products. As for most electronics, I don't really care about the brand, except if I'm buying something to keep it for a long time.

12. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Most things I will buy generic. It is actually a really good way to save money. Chips, Snacks, Pop I all buy Generic or Own Brand. Toilet Paper and Kitchen Towel as well is a good example. I tend to shop about 90% generic and 10% branded. I tend to stick to branded cosmetics, perfumes body care items but thats about it!

13. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even think about non-household items. I rarely ever by name brand clothing, for instance. I'm careful, though, because some off brand is terrible quality. But, I've found that that is true for some name brand stuff, too. I actually love thrift store shopping and I've found some really great clothes there that are basically brand new, high quality items.

Electronics are one of those things I'm picky about, too. I try to get them refurbished by the manufacturer when I can so that I feel a bit better about the price. But, I'm willing to pay full price for a high quality name brand electronic product.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I love generic products. Usually, they're identical and I see no reason to spend more money on the name brand items.

That being said, sometimes they're not. My mom only likes Helman's mayo, for example, and so we never buy the offbrand versions. We buy name brand feminine products, too, but generic paper products otherwise (like paper towels or baby wipes).

15. renmew

renmewMember

Threads:
    I buy a mix and match of generic and name brand items. I first look at the price, because sometimes the name brand is available for less or close enough. I will almost always try the generic, give it a chance, if it will save me enough money to make it worth the risk. I have found that Target's generic is really good quality and a great value as well, EXCEPT for their diapers. Generic cereal is a good bet, as are baking goods, but I love me some name brand tp :)

16. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I am happy to purchase most things generic when I'm trying to save money as long as the taste is OK. Bonny -- I don't like buying generic coffee either, though. Another thing I am picky about buying generic is frozen pizza. We don't really like any other kind apart from Homerun Inn and we occasionally find good deals on that brand.

I also am OK to buy generic toilet paper because the store I shop at has some that lasts as long as Scott (which is a long time!)

17. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I used to not care about generic items and would always buy them but as I have gotten older I have noticed that sometimes there really is a difference. Before I had my son I always bought generic items but he now has a peanut allergy. Many of the generic items have peanut warning on them so we are often forced to use name brand but since then, the few times that I have been able to buy generic items, I noticed that the name brand was better quality when it comes to food. I will buy generic cleaner, vitamins, medicines, paper goods and such though.

18. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    The only things I am brand-particular about are Diet Coke and pet food. I am pretty flexible on most other things, and even prefer store brand or generic to brand on some items. But I'm like you, Bonny, when it comes to quality. I am willing to pay for quality if I truly believe one item is better than another.

19. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    I almost always but generic, just because of the prices, and the economy is tough right now.
    The occasional times when I do buy name brands are when there is a sale on them, and/or I have coupons for them... :D

20. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    It seems most of us agree it depends on what we are buying.
    What do you think about perfumes? Have you ever bought a replica of the genuine perfume?