Genetic modified foods

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Aug 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Food is one of the things we spend more money in, so companies are our "friends" haha and make more economical foods, so that we can afford virtually anything. The question and debate I want to launch here is, at the expenses of our health? What do we know about genetic modified foods, do you know we eat them daily?

2. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about genetically modified foods is that we really do not know whether or not we are consuming them daily since they look like the natural version and we cannot trust food companies to label them as such. GMFs are everywhere and not enough information is available as to their safety. I opt for organic foods as best as I can these days, but the way the world is going, it is likely that in the distant future GMFs will be the major food in our markets.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of foods are genetically modified. The tomatoes from the produce section are more resilient than the tomatoes from 10 years ago and don't spoil as fast or get squashed in transport as easily.
    We're already eating genetically modified foods unless all of you are eating heirloom tomatoes from your own garden.

Growing conditions are more harsh now and there's heat and drought to consider. I think today's produce had to be genetically modified to withstand drought and global warming.
    It's dumb that Africa turned down GMO food aid that was offered to feed their people because GMO's are 'inherently dangerous". Isn't starvation more dangerous?

I'm not a GMO cheerleader, but I understand why it might be a necessary evil to modify crops to make them stronger.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Don't get me talking about tomatoes, apples or pears ACSAPA, I used to love these three and now it's so rare that I find decent ones. The flavor is totally different as so is the texture, they have made a different fruit/vegetable with the same name, it's sad for me. The same with carrots, have you seen how orange they are?

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that we do not really know when and how much GMO we eat every day especially if the vegetables you buy always come from the supermarket. This is the reason why I started a vegetable garden in our yard. I have tomatoes, okra, eggplants, and beans. However, I wish that GMOs will be labeled as such so that consumers will be free to decide if they want to consume it or not.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    GMO foods aren't necessarily bad but some studies seem to show that these foods or some of them to tend to have some bad side-effects. I posted some link on the forum some time back but point is that information is out there. The people who sell the GMO food should have some label on the package, tin whatever that lists everything that could result from consuming GMO food.

I don't know if I eat GMO food since I live in an area where most of the food consumed is locally produced by the farmers but since there are GMO seeds and we don't know if the farmers buy those, I can't be too sure . . .

7. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    We have been consuming genetically modified foods for quite some time now. The important thing to do is just eat a little of everything in moderation. That way your body will recover from it. If you look at recent statistics, you'll see that over the course of the last 10 years, more younger people are getting cancer, lupus, diabetes, etc. This has a lot to do with altered foods. MSG and Aspartame are two of the big killers. We really don't know what we are eating nowadays, so in conclusion, just try not to eat too much of one things. Even the fruits and vegetables are being genetically altered in nature.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not eat genetically modified food. The grocery store where I do almost all my shopping is committed to being GMO free and they take the time to verify that the products they carry are. There are actually a lot of households in my town that have a sign in the yard saying "GMO free family". I feel that GMOs are not safe because man has decided to play God and change what God has created, yet we are not all knowing and cannot possibly comprehend the complexity of these thing God has made. Some GMO corn I have heard was designed to have the pesticide in them so they could save on losses without having to take the time to spray them. This is horrifying, as the toxin can not be washed off even a little if it made by the plant. I am all for banning GMOs and kicking Monsanto out of our state entirely.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Thing is, most of the food we grow, even ourselves, is genetically modified. It was modified either to adapt in new environments or to give a better yield. The whole anti GMO movement, in my understanding, comes from the shady practices some companies employed in order to secure market share. They sued farmers, they tried to patent common seeds, and the list goes on. People started fighting back and the rest is history.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    All that you say makes sense prettycolors, but apart from all those valid reasons there is the health concern in itself meaning, we don't know on the long run the consequences of eating GMO. Look at antibiotics, it took us 40 years to realize they are doing a lot of harm, no turn around in that.