Get paid to lose weight? Yes, please!

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by ragtimeannie • Jun 18, 2014.

1. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    Have any of you used a website like healthywager.com? I have this wild idea. It may be crazy, or it may be inspired. Tell me what you think!

I need to lose about 100 pounds. I started out six months ago needing to lose 125, but I lost 25 and kept it off. I did the first 25 pounds on Weight Watchers. It's a great program, but at $40 a month, it really adds up. I'm hesitant to go back to paying for a program like that, especially when I already know what I need to do to lose weight.

Healthywager allows you to make a "bet" that you're going to lose X amount of weight over X period of time. You pay in some agreed amount every month until the end of the period, at which time you either make your goal or you don't.

There's been studies done about this kind of weight loss strategy, and it's been shown to work. I know it would work with me. I'm far too cheap to want to trash my diet and lose out on that money!

I'm thinking this might be a good thing to do with some of the money I'm making at Swagbucks.com. I could get the $25 Paypal money monthly from Swagbucks, apply that to my healthywager, and then at the end of, say, six months (and I'm thinking maybe another 25 pounds), the money I make could be used for a new Wii for our family to enjoy. If the family knows Mom's weight loss is going to buy us a new Wii, I bet that will help them remember to be supportive too! ;)

What do you think? Is this a good scheme? Do you think I should go for a bigger payout and more weight loss, or stick to my modest 25-pound goal to start with?

2. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    I've never heard of this website before. I'm going to seriously look into it. If it is as legit as it seems your Wii U plan may be crazy enough to work.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of this type of wager before. The strategy appeals to some people and not to others. Like any weight loss program, it isn't for everyone. The larger payouts are for lager losses it seems and if probably a great idea for someone looking to kick start their loss. It is probably not the place to go for someone who only wants to shed a few pounds.

I looked at the site and was pleased to see that it looks legitimate. They offer a variety of payout methods as well which makes it seem more legitimate than other sites. I don't need to lose enough weight to make it worth my while but I think others could take advantage of it.

Good luck to anyone trying to lose some weight!

4. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    This is an amazing idea! However, I do see a few flaws in this concept. Think about it, you can't keep losing weight forever so it's really a consistent earning method, hah.

On the other side, this is an amazing motivator for people to try and achieve. At the end of the day, you've lost weight and made money off of it! That's amazing if you ask me.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This is great. I would want to also go with that program. It's really going to motivate you and me. Sure if money were at stake one would really have to work to win it and not to lose it. It's money. If the money is the issue, one would really have to achieve whatever it is to take that money. So go, the push is strong. You are likely gonna make it and I hope me too.

6. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    I personally would not put many forward, if I am not secure in knowing I have the time and support needed to actually achieve the goal to get my money back. I am not fond of the idea of betting to begin with. I would rather set aside some money in an account and say that I can not touch it till I reach my goal. Maybe arrange something with my husband to keep the money or something.

Motivations that I have faced in the past to lose weight were: if I lose this amount of weight I would: go get a massage, do something new and costly with my hair, buy a new wardrobe, etc. Those are attainable goals and things in which I would not usually spend money on.

In regard to weight watchers, They are one of the less pricey programs for weight lose. I have done several.

7. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    It's a really interesting concept that I think would work for those more inclined to gambling or those who are more snippy with their money. I can see it working for me if I ever want to lose weight because I would hate to lose money on a bet...it would encourage me to get off my butt and actually do things with money as a goal.

How do they prove that your weight loss is legitimate? Pictures don't show weight loss well for some people and you could always lie about what you weighed. Do you have to go to the doctor and get a paper declaring your weight? That could be photoshopped as well though..

And if you lost the 25 pounds on weight watchers, it might be better to shoot for a lower goal without ww's help, but if you believe you can do it, nothing's stopping you :)

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this web site. I can understand wanting to give your subconscious the goal of getting more money when you lose weight. Right now there are several sites offering a detox tea that will allow you to loose 5lbs in 5 days by detoxing your body. I have used the tea and it does work. There are other products that will help a person the needs to lose more weight plus if you decide to become a distributer for the company you will in effect be getting paid to lose weight.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like what they say, never put in money that you can't afford to lose, so only gamble a small amount. If you are certain that you can lose the weight in the designated time frame, then go ahead and bet some more. I would also join that kind of program if I am very committed and motivated to lose some weight.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like this idea, I think it's fantastic! If I needed to lose some weight I'd definitely consider it if it were available in my area. It forces you to commit and stay focused. Because you're also spending money and have made a bet to say I will lose this weight by such a date; you're forced to stay on track. Well, at least that's how it would work for me anyway :) Good luck with it!

11. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Good luck if you do go down that line. Getting paid to do something that can improve your health is a good thing. But I guess it's all really about sustainability of any weight loss. Losing it only to put it all back on very quickly isn't the best for your body and self confidence. But if the program works for you, go for it.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of this website before. Well, that's pretty cool since you can get paid if you succeed, and at the same time, you're going to benefit a lot from the program too because you're going to be fit and healthy. I should say, money is a good motivational tool for people, eh?

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard of this concept before, but I have never really been sure about whether or not it works?? I have heard of the bet part, and if you don't reach your target, then you lose out on that money. But I did not know about the part where if you lose it, then you win money?? How do they prove that you either lost the weight or didn't? I'm sure people lie?

14. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I was quite skeptical whilst reading the article, and told to myself: "Say whaaat? Paying people to do themselves good? This is insane!". What I like the most about this website and concept, generally, is that it's a great motivator. If I were to ever want to lose weight, and appeal to their services, the money that I receive wouldn't truly motivate me that much as the fact that I actually gave them my money, which, in my perception, is the ultimate promise.
    If anyone wants to join their program, I think they're legit and that you will see huge results, undoubtedly.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a cool idea, but how do they make sure people aren't cheating the system? Can't you just say you lost the $25 and collect the money? I also would hope that people wouldn't try to lose weight in a harmful way just to hit their goal on this site.

We all get motivated in different ways to get healthy, but I still think that outside factors driving your weight loss isn't as effective as you just WANTING to get healthy and dropping the weight. But if it works for you, then go for it!

16. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I say go for it! It sounds like a fun challenge. It is a win, win. You get healthy, beautiful and pick up some extra cash. Incentive is OK, because it drives you forward. Sometimes, we know what we want and why, but just get weak. The thought of your health and your family fun can get you through the tough times.

17. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of this program and a few others that have the same situation. You either make your goals and win a little extra money, or you lose your bet and then what you've paid in gets donated to charity or paid to the people that succeed. It's a unique kind of thing that will definitely motivate some to achieve their fitness goals.