Getting tired of Facebook

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by SavvyGirl2014 • Jun 6, 2014.

1. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    I like Facebook just as much as the next person. But in many ways, I am "over it." I wish we could go back to the days of people giving you a call, coming over to visit, or have lunch/dinner together. I think Facebook makes people feel like they have a deeper relationship than they really do. You can literally go months or even a year without actually having a conversation with a particular person, yet you know everything that is going on in their lives because of their status updates. I think it is making people lazy in their relationships with friends and family. Sometimes I just wish friends would realize that 'Liking' a status is not the equivalent of having a conversation and really connecting with the person.

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Having a coffee and just burn the whole pack of cigarette on the coffee shop is one thing I miss with some friends I've got back then. Now, I just see them posting on walls saying how are you and then disappear. Status actually isn't something enough to catch up.

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I lately had been posting a status asking if any of my friend had free time to come and visit me at the weekend then we can have a lunch together (I love cooking) but all I got was a lot of likes on my status :( no one even commented on it at least :(

So I made a real phone call to one of my friend who does not have a Facebook account and she actually came round to my house :)

Now I'm only using my Facebook for my blog update :D

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very active on my personal FB activities, I spend more time on the pages that I manage for clients. :D

I try to avoid my personal page as much as possible (especially on weekdays) not because I'm tired of it. I avoid it because I know that If I do visit and check out my friends' activities - I will stay with it much longer and will some waste time that could've been use to do actual work. :D

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    You're actually right, we can know so much about a person even if we don't talk. I quite frankly stopped posting things on facebook for that exact business. I just don't enjoy people poking in on my life via facebook, if they want to know, I think that they should ask. There are so many people that I have on my facebook and some of then I don't really know that well.

That being said and out of my head. I was never actually addicted to the idea of facebook itself, I was more into the games that they had when I was younger lol.

6. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    I agree. It used to be cool when everyone was always on it and there was always something going on, but it's been much less interesting for me in the last two years or so. It's good for keeping in touch with friends though.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I don't see Facebook changing anytime soon. And with how powerful a social media presence is in today's world, it's almost a necessity if you're trying to be a professional in today's working market. I know I use it for my own blog and promoting myself to other people and have met quite a few others who do the same. These are all positives Facebook does bring to our society.

8. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I think that facebook is starting to die off. Everyday I see fewer and fewer people posting on it and many people have simply stopped using it at all. I really used to like it a few years ago when it was still really big but now everybody seems to have migrated to instagram and twitter, neither of which I use. I don't really think that social networking has ruined face-to-face interaction, at least not within my social circle. Most of the people I associate would rather talk/hang out face to face than over facebook or over the phone. `

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While I know that part of it is the fact that I haven't liked a social network since Myspace was cool, there's just something I don't like about Facebook. Now in a way it is better than Twitter because there's not as much of a character limit but I think maybe part of it is it doesn't feel very anonymous. I guess you don't really have to use your real name but it seems like you are compelled to do so and even if you don't, I'm not sure why but it still doesn't seem private enough.

10. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Facebook isnt bad. It is what it is and what is it? It's a communication tool. People like to complain about facebook, but you all have used it to look for people in the past. So, I'm sure you all would prefer to have it then to not have it.

It's easy to complain about "free" services. That's just what I see - people complaining about a free service.

11. Nickchick

Threads:
    I get very bored quickly about it. I originally got one to find someone from middle school but I never found him. Personally, if they closed Facebook down I wouldn't miss it at all. The only thing I use it for is my GPT sites. I never even talk to the friends that are on there anymore and I have no interest in seeking out random people to be my friend on there.

12. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I use it in part to keep communication with my grown daughter. I used to use it WAY too much. I would call it an addiction, yes. But nowadays I don't check in as much. What I found 'funny'is that I lost FB friends after knowing them over a year. They apparently took it personally when I was on groups, off groups and back and forth. It was never about THEM, how funny that they would take it that way. It was always just me trying to let the dang FB habit go. I mostly have now. I would not be there at all now, but it's nice like I said to supplement communication with my grown daughter. I think FB is fine if people would realize it's a supplement to something in their life, not the main meal so to speak.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing that bugs me about Facebook is the lies. My ex posted a status that made him sound like he was living large but I know for a fact that he sold his car out of desperation for $250, didn't pay his gas bill so he can't cook at home, and he can't afford to pay me child support, so why lie and pretend to be a high roller on Facebook?

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've been tired of Facebook for a long time now, but I still feel the need to keep an account in order to stay a little in touch with some distant relatives and friends, but it's hard to justify when all you see when you go there is mundane pictures and people making vague passive-aggressive comments.
    Another thing I'm sick of there is how any movie or show that you "like" feels this need to daily post pictures or videos, I like your movie but I don't need to be bombarded with trailers of it years after it came out, I've seen it already...

15. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been on Facebook so I can't say whether or not I am actually tired of it, but I am over people talking about it all the time or using it as the primary means to communicate with people. Most of my friends are slowly using Facebook less often and when they do just posting photos but not really using it to chat or make plans with people.

16. Nickchick

Threads:
    I am hating Facebook now more than ever. I'm currently trying to win a contest. I never really win anything anyway so I don't know why I bother but somehow I did it anyway. To win you need to get the most likes. I posted asking for help on my status and my friends or should I say my "friends" didn't even bother. Only two friends on there payed attention and liked it. I only need a few more to be in the lead.
    I know a few people were on too so they must have seen my post surely. I am feeling more now like people are just requesting people to be on their friends list to gain popularity and the only thing they really do is play games or post shallow pictures. It's not like it's a contest for a video game. I said on there I could really use the gift card but it's like they don't care how important it is to me.

17. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    i think facebook is a good site if used in moderation. i think it's cool to be able to keep in touch with people so easily. as well as get little insights into their lives and thinking that you wouldn't have previously got. but it can be a distraction if you use it too much. it's a fine line. used to much it can be a giant waste of time. but at it's best, it's a good site to keep in touch with friends and family.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if the person really wants to keep in touch with you, then you don't have to ask them to call, they will just call on their own. The same goes if they want to hang out with you. I really think that Facebook is just another way to keep in touch with your loved ones and it's not a substitute if you really want to have a close personal relationship with your social circle.

19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    How long does everyone stay on Facebook each day? I find myself not really using the site to looking at pictures and such. Most of my time is spent chatting with friends and family. I don't know why we don't just text. But that's the way it works, I suppose. I probably spend about an hr on Facebook throughout the day.

20. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    Facebook's investors might be excited about the company's better financial results, but they need to make sure to keep up with how the user experience is changing. The idea that Facebook will dominate social media in the future just because it dominates today is short-sighted.

With a crowded desktop experience, increased ads in mobile, and teenagers opting for other platforms, Facebook has some real challenges. The company needs to get back to basics if it wants to continue its growth.