Getting Up Before The Alarm

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • May 5, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you use an alarm clock, or the one on your mobile phone? I like to wake up before my alarm, but set one when I need to as a back up.

I always test the alarm works too and make sure the alarm is loud enough and nearby to hear and switch off. Do people still but alarm clocks or not these days? I see them in hotels but don't use them and prefer the wake up call.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I generally don’t use an alarm, only when I need to wake up super early for one reason or another. The alarm clock I do use is pretty jarring and awful, so I’m thinking of switching to using a phone alarm instead. But most of the time I’m pretty good about waking up around the same time daily, so I’ll only do it if I absolutely need to.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I have this body clock that wakes me up 15 minutes before I need to. So, every day, I wake up at around 5:30 in the morning even though I need to get up at 5:45. It's annoying sometimes because there are times when I just want to sleep.

Anyway, because of my body clock, I rarely use an alarm clock. When I need to, I just use my phone's alarm. I find it more convenient than using an old school alarm clock.

4. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I prefer using the phone alarm because the beep of a conventional alarm clock destroys my mood, like it desecrates the solemnity of dawn. I set my alarm at 4:25 in the morning and wake up to the sound of classic songs like "Diary" or "Misty." However, I really need to get to the habit of waking up on point because I tend to go back to sleep. The moment I wake up, I realized that I had slept for another 15 minutes.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to need to get up early, I also used my phone as an alarm clock. But now that I don't have to, I don't use it anymore. In the times that I need to wake up during a certain time, I sometimes tend to ignore it.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wonder what they used to do before alarms? Maybe people did things whenever they could. My greatest fear is an alarm that doesn't go off because the battery goes or on analogue clocks if they stop.

I've never slept through an alarm, but I know people that rely on them and have to have several alarms.

7. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I have an old digital alarm clock that I have been using since I was a kid. I was accustomed to it and it works fine for me. I don't like to sleep with the phone next to me, so that small device is still a great company.

The alarm clock I have is something like this:

#7May 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
  8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before alarms they had roosters. I don't know if it's true but I've heard it said that the roosters crow every 15 minutes. I've never proved it but intend to when I can. And in the mornings they be crowing long before 5 in the morning. So anyone who was interested in getting up early . . . that would be their wake up call.

But back to alarms. I never set mine because I've conditioned myself to wake at the same time every day.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have been in rural places in Thailand and cockerels and roosters do make their presence known. With the sunlight however they are not usually necessary, but when you do have black out blinds it's much harder.

I used to live near a bus stop so I would always hear the buses to wake up to and I used hear Concorde at 6 a.m. each morning as an alarm clock.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to only rely upon my internal biological clock. My smartphone has the ability to set numerous alarms, and reminders. So does my android tablet. I also have a wristwatch, as well as a few alarm clocks that have the ability to go off whenever you set them to go off. But I don't use any of them. Somehow, my body always just seems to know when to wake up if I have things to do, or somewhere to be for a certain time.

11. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Ah, I recall the days when I had a biological clock and I woke up when I wanted, but I think that my biological clock these days is not working properly. Either cases, we have a big number of options so no excuses to wake up late unless we want to.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I set the clock before I go to bed to as a back up most of the time it does not go off before I get up. I f I am in a room that lets the light in I do not need an alarm to get up, the sun is my alarm clock.

13. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Had an alarm when I was in school. Not anymore. Use the one on the phone if really needed.