Gift Cards

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Strykstar • Jul 18, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you ever give gift cards, or enjoy receiving them?
    I've always preferred getting or gifting cash instead of gift cards, what's the point in them?
    It's like money but you can only use it at a specific store, where if you gave cash the person can use it wherever they want.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think sometimes people go with gift cards to try to personalize it a bit more....and in hopes of them buying something for themselves.

As in, cash can be put anywhere. A person might pay their bills with it. Some people don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but other people are trying to force the gift-ee to actually choose something from a store (like a clothing or music store).

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Cash can be spent anywhere, and I have seen it been used on other people, bills, and which doesn't mean it is bad, but kind of kills the point of doing something nice for themselves with it. I love gift cards honestly, but as long as they're to a store I really like. Which is the point of gift cards. You find out where they really like to shop, get them a gift card, then they are able to buy something nice for themselves without having to worry of spending their money. I've never met anyone who hasn't liked gift cards.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My cousin hates getting gift cards..he's always hated them and still hates them. He thinks that they are probably the most impersonal gift you can get someone because you literally don't even have to think about it.

Personally though, I think gift cards are the next best thing if you don't get cash. Often times if people get you an item for a gift, you'll probably end up exchanging it or returning it if you don't like it. Or you'd just end up keeping it out of guilt and feeling bad of returning something.

Plus most gift cards don't expire, which is always awesome :)

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Unless the recipient specifically asks for a gift card, if I do not buy them an actual gift I will give them cash. I think cash is easier to deal with and most importantly may be spent anywhere. Yes I would hate for the person to spend it on bills, because I always want people to indulge themselves but if that is what they need to do and it helps them sleep better at night then I want them to have cash instead of a Gap gift card.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have received a gift card that includes a facial spa package or something like that, but I never got to use it. The gift card doesn't have an expiration date so I wonder if I can use or re-gift that again, lol! I really don't mind receiving a gift card if it's from a store that I'm most likely to patronize. But if not, then then pls. give me cash instead, lol. I can't remember giving a gift card to anyone though.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's exactly my thinking, if you gift cash instead of gift cards you grant that person the ability to spend it wherever they choose, maybe they really need to repair something in their cars and you don't know about it.
    I think people don't treat gifted money like their "worked" money, they are much more likely to spend it on something they enjoy, not on bills.

8. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    As a teenager, I'd much prefer gift cards. It was a middle ground between buying an actual gift from the store and the money spent on it. As an adult, I prefer cash instead of gift cards. With more responsibility and bills to pay, a gift card wouldn't go as far as cash would. It all depends on what people are looking for and what they truly want. :)

9. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    OP, i am so with you on this one. I just posted basically the same exact thing in another thread. What is the point of forcing me to shop at a specific store? It doesn't make any sense. Just give cash and let the person go wherever they want to.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've given gift cards on occasion but since I've been hearing how more how people aren't into them I've nixed getting them as much. If I buy gift cards I would be more inclined to get a visa card instead of something to a particular store unless I knew that person really liked that store, and would appreciate getting a gift card from there.

#10Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer cash too but getting gift cards is alright by me as well. I think it shows that the person is exerting an effort to show you that he or she knows of your favorite stores that way, and also it may be possible that he or she was just able to get a better price for said gift cards as well making the expense a little less than if they were to give cash. They are both consumable so I don't mind getting either.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like gift cards, most of my family members struggle to find something they like to buy with it and it forces them to go somewhere rather than to be able to shop around. My aunt had an Apple gift card so she had to buy there rather than go to Best Buy. Small amounts are fine, but larger amounts can be difficult to spend and also there is the fear of losing them.

In the UK when HMV went into receivership, they announced all gift cards would not be honored for the last month of trading, so many people lost out.