Gift Exchange

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Denis Hard • Jun 25, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Getting fits feels good but it's even better for whoever is buying you a gift to get you something you've always wanted to have. Something you'd buy for yourself but won't have to if you convince him/her to buy it for you.

How?

Talk to those who'll buy you gifts. You tell them what gift you'd like [to get] and they tell you what they'd prefer to get. Everyone gets what they want and probably you'll all save some in the process too because you won't have to buy yourself whatever it is you'll get as a gift.

Done this?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it is always better if you are getting somebody a gift that you know they're going to like. If you don't bother to take the time to check, then there is always the chance that the gift won't be used, and may be thrown away completely, which I always think is a complete shame. It can seem a little bit odd to talk about gifting in this way, but once you get used to it, it is great.

I have a group of 8 friends, and instead of all buying each other small gifts, we will give one larger gift to each one between us, and that way it is always something that we really want.

3. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighwaysNew Member

Threads:
    I still prefer the surprise factor, but if you are going to do this, I would suggest that each of you makes an online wish list. Amazon is a great site for this. If your friend uses Pinterest, and you know their account name, you can even look at what things they have pinned and use it for inspiration without them knowing. Just be creative!

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We normally have exchanging of gifts during our Christmas family gathering. It has been our tradition to have gifts for everyone so all will be opening their gifts simultaneously. That is why I take a lot of time in choosing what gifts to buy because gifts for the family cannot be in duplicates. It has to be a unique gift for everyone.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Sort of done this. We used to talk about what we wanted for Christmas a lot. Then I got older and the only answer I would give is "money for college" and that drove my family crazy because they apparently couldn't stand the fact that I didn't want any objects because I didn't need them, but I needed the money for upcoming college tuition. Then it was money to pay off college, also not popular, now I can actually send them a link to my Amazon wish list so they can find things that I need or will need soon that are actually useful for me.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My European friends and I sort of do this, particularly with makeup. These days I’ve bought far more for them than for myself, haha. I have brands here that are less readily available to them, and vice versa. So they’ll tell me if there’s any product they’re interested in, and I’ll do my best to send it on over. And I’ve gotten a couple of HG products this way.

7. HenryDiebold

HenryDieboldNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I prefer this idea mainly at the time of Christmas. I found this very useful and I buy those gifts from the online shops.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents and family members always asked what I want to have as gifts when I was younger since they know that I'm quite finicky when it comes to receiving gifts. So to ensure that the recipient will really like what you intend to give him, then it won't hurt to ask them what they want.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always ask people what they want. I prefer to get someone something they really want or need rather than make my own judgement. I'd much rather my gift helped take the pressure off someone's finances slightly than got stuck in a drawer or given to the charity shop.