Gift-giving?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Denis Hard • Jan 28, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you limit gift-giving? If you do, how do you do it?

Do you give gifts only to a specific number of people say like a few friends, co-workers and family? Or do you spend only a specific amount of money on gifts. If you are spending no more than $300 a year on gifts you'll then buy everyone you know a cheap gift. There lots of gifts which cost less than $1 after all . . .

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm on a very tight budget so I do limit everything and especially gift giving. If you don't have money like me I give cards I buy on sale to most everyone. Just to very close family members do I buy gifts for and if I can afford it too. My Mom is house bound now, so weddings and funerals are out of the question, so I send a card explaining it and not even go to the event. When you find out people didn't enjoy the gift it's crushing too, so I'd rather send cards for the season or event to let them know I celebrate with them! Even if I had money I'd like to give gifts that will be loved, yet I'd limit myself to give gifts because I think cards are a wonderful way to show kindness to others.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only give gifts during the holiday season if someone gave me a gift, so I get to save money that way. My budget is tight, so I don't even bother buying someone a gift even if it's their birthday.

4. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I give gifts to my family, as well as my boyfriend. I mostly give them gifts without an occasion. Whenever I get money, I try to get them something with it. It's just really nice to see how happy they get over it. I LOVE to make others happy. Most of my money I give to them. It's also easy for them to gift me back as well. I am a person who doesn't mind how much it cost. It's the thought of it that makes me all happy over it. :p

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I usually give gifts to close friends and my husband, so my family in short. I usually don't limit how much is spent. I will tell them not to spend a ton on me, but if I have the money I don't mind spending it on them. I do give the odd gift or donate here or there, but not too often.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a single mom. I only give gifts to my daughter. I don't specifically do things that way to save money ,it just worked out that way because a lot of my friends moved out of the state and we drifted apart, so now it's just my kid and I during the holidays.
    Everyone else just gets a card.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have many friends that I really care about to the point where I would want to gibe them gifts. And many of the friends that I have given gifts to in the past did not seem to appreciate it or value me in a similar way. I do think they felt that I was trying to compensate for not always seeing them with gifts though, so maybe that is why the gifts were not received so well. I only buy gifts for my mother when it is christmas or birthdays.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have any hard and fast rules. When it come to holiday gift giving, I usually try to come up with a set amount that I will spend on each person, but that varies. Some years that number will be quite slim. Other years, it might be a bit higher. I don't always stick to it strictly though. If I find something really great for one person that costs a bit more, I'll usually get it. If I catch something good on sale for another person, I don't feel obligated to keep spending to hit that number.

Mostly, I just try to find something that really fits the person I'm shopping for, and I try to keep the price within reason.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am on a limited budget so there will be some occasions when I would love to, but was unable to give a gift however whenever I am giving a gift I prefer not to be a cheapskate. I would prefer to give one person gift a reasonable gift than to give out a number of low priced unimpressive gifts.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If we are talking of occasions here, I'd say I only give gifts to everyone during Christmas. For birthday, I only give a gift to friends when there is a celebration, But for the family, there is always a birthday gift with or without a celebration. And for the cost of the gift, the limit is the budget that I allocated although sometimes I buy a more expensive gift than the budget particularly for my husband.