Gift Idea for a 1 Year Old?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by tangela • Oct 1, 2014.

1. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend's sister's daughter (so his niece) is having her 1st birthday soon and we are SO stumped on what to get her. She has a TON of toys (she is the first of the next generation after my boyfriend) and she has a TON of clothes. Not to mention her grandmother, my boyfriend's mom, can sew and make clothes and stuff from scratch so there's absolutely no point in buying her anymore clothes.

We thought about buying her one of those huge teddy bear that you see in stores sometimes but apparently she has one of those too!

Any suggestions on what to get her? Her birthday is coming up in November.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Get her a picture book. There are lots of colorful books which can make great gifts. Since there are thousands of books you can buy, if you get her one of those, there's a possibility that it will be one of it's kind.

Here's where you can get some good suggestions for books which you can get for a kid who is that young:

3. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe since she already has a lot of items you can take her some where and give her the gift of your time. Take her to the park, or the zoo or somewhere like that. If you need something to wrap up, maybe a card that has a coupon inside for there parents for one free trip. I'm sure your nice would like it and the parents would probably like the free time as well.

4. McsSlep

McsSlepNew Member

Threads:
    I think clothes you can never go wrong just buy up sizes like 24 months or something. Just always remember seasons. Or books is a great idea. Or you could make her something.

5. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    My niece is 5 years old and it is much easier to buy gifts for her now, so I understand your dilemma.

I didn't want to just get her more books and clothing so it make it more difficult to find her gifts. I decided to go the route of gifts that she would appreciate as she got older. I bought her a hand pained piggybank with her name on it, and the next year I bought her a locket with her initial on it. Her parents kept the items safe. My niece started using the piggybank this past year and she loves it. She has it set on her dresser and she is always putting money into it.

I sometimes buy her games or books, but I try to find gifts that no one else will buy. I'm currently looking for a pair of earrings for her. My sister wants my niece to get her ears pierced, but she is refusing. I figure the earrings might push her into agreeing because I know she will want to wear them if they are pretty.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I think getting her a children's book is a really good idea. Just make sure that she doesn't already have the ones you're going to buy (check with your boyfriend). When my kids were very young I really dread the idea of another toy coming in because they already have so much. Back then I prefer picture frames and other items that I can use to decorate my baby's room. One year olds don't really have the slightest idea about gifts, it's more of finding what the parents like for their babies. :p

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea! I was honesty stumped but what do you get someone who has everything? You give them the gift of time! Taking them maybe to a special baby friendly amusement park and then it would also be a gift to the parents as well of having some mommy and daddy alone time.

8. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    My son's first birthday was a couple months ago so we had the same issue. We got him some books that he had picked out himself at the store. Pay attention to things that she really pays attention to when you are at the store or if you allow movies. We did get him the fisher price walk around car. He did not like it at first but then he did. I know on toy r us, they now have a section where you can pick the age range. I wish they would of had that a couple months ago. Maybe they did and I just did not notice. But I would for sure recommend that. You could also get gifts that are more educational. Now I am not saying that she is not learning but those toys always seem to interest kids more. My son's grandma got him this thing from Doug & Melissa. It is a toy hammer thing that he smacks these sticks into. He loves it! I know you are looking for girl toys but those toys are good for any gender. You could also go onto a site that makes certain teddy bears with her name one it. My son has a teddy bear and a blanket that have his name and birthday on them. He loves the teddy bear and they are both so soft. I hope you find what you are looking for!

9. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I like this one! That way we can spend some time with her and her parents can use the much needed break :)

10. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE the piggy bank idea!! Or maybe we can wait until she's older and take her to one of those paint-your-own places so she can make a piggy bank of her own favorite colors :) Thanks!

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is hard. I always find giving gifts to babies and toddlers a bit of a challenge. Perhaps these gift items are worthy of consideration?
    1. Coloring books with matching coloring materials and drawing table
    2. Clothes with Disney character designs
    3. Shoes that squeak or flash red lights with every step
    4. Animal bag
    5. Stuffed toy (e.g. a big bear, Patrick the Starfish, a minion from Despicable Me)

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Picture books are always a good idea also, blocks, things that he can do with his hands are always good gifts for little people. Things that make noise, music are good also.