Gifting gifts you received.

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by prettycolors • Mar 5, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    My friends birthday is coming soon and I was thinking about gift ideas. Then I realized I have some clothes I received from my parents on my birthday and I was thinking of gifting them to my friend. Honestly, I feel a bit bad. We're good friends and here I am trying to not spend a dime.

Is it ok to make a gift out of things I already received as a gift?

2. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I would never give a present I received as a gift as I think it is wrong and there is no thought in it. I have received a gift which was a gift to the giver and I knew that she didn't buy it as I received the same gift from the same child where I work. I don't like to think that people can't even be bothered to buy a gift, I would rather not have a gift at all than have one passed on as when you know it is passed on like I knew it isn't a nice thought.

3. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I have re-gifted many things. I do not see any point in keeping something I have no use for or that will just sit on a shelf. I have a closet that I stock up on things for gift ideas. Things I have found on sale for a really good deal or gifts that I will not use. Whenever a gift is needed for something, I go to my closet first and see what I have available. If something fits the bill for that particular person at the time, I use it. I do not see anything wrong with re-gifting something instead of throwing it out. I see it as being resourceful. Many people return things to the store that they get doubles of or things that they won't use. I don't see re-gifting as any different. I do not appreciate the gift or the person any less. It is the thought that counts.

4. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I constantly re-gift gifts. I don't mean that I don't like some of the gifts that I've received, but I am saying that I don't need them or I don't feel the need to use them. I'm not a mean person, I'm just a reasonable person. I accept gifts and I really do appreciate the fact that they bought it for me, but I don't like leaving stuff around without using them. So why not give them away as well? It saves time, money, and effort.

However, I do not re-gift gifts that mean a lot to me, such as those given to me by my relatives or best friends.

5. Mina

MinaMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind getting gifts that were meant for someone else, I do the same and I usually tell them that it was a gift for me but I don't want it. It would be wrong to re-gift it without saying anything and I don't think they would mind if you gave them a reason for it like it doesn't suit you or it doesn't fit anymore.

6. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    I think re-gifting is ok to a certain extent. If I got a gift card to a store that I never visit, I might consider re-gifting it to a friend if I knew that it was a store that they like and visit often. I would also re-gift something if I hadn't taken it out of the box, and knew that the person I was re-gifting it to would like it. I don't think I would re-gift clothing, but then again I don't think I would ever buy clothing for any of my friends as a present!

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I think that it's ok to re-gift as long as the gift still looks brand new or if it's at least presentable. I don't feel bad when I'm not able to give my good friends gifts on their birthdays, because a simple greeting from me would do from their end, and vice-versa.

#7Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  8. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think re-gifting gifts is as big a deal as some people make it out to be. If the gift is nice, your friend would like it, and you're not using it, then why not? That seems very practical and economical to me. Why just keep something around, collecting dust when you have a friend who would actually appreciate it and use it?