Gifts- Expense or Thought?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by sarz • Mar 6, 2014.

?

What matters more when receiving a gift the expense spared or the thought thay went into it?

1. Expense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Thought

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    What's most important when receiving a gift and be honest please. Do you look at the price tag or is it the thought that counts?

I think its the thought that counts ie I would rather someone made me a card then bought me one as it more personal and more effort went into it.

Would you prefer to open a jewellery box or a handmade personalised pair of socks.

My nan would open a card and if it didnt have money in she would not read it :-o luckily this did not rub off on me.

2. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    I do think it's about the thought, but more about the thought that they've bought me something I'd like. I would very much appreciate someone knitting me a pair of gloves or a scarf, or some other hand-made present, but if it isn't something I would enjoy then it is thoughtless.

At the same time, something expensive that someone has purchased could be full of thought! One example is that I've always wanted a gold Claddagh ring, which can be $200-300. If someone bought me one, I would be thrilled - not because of the amount of money, but because it's something I've always wanted.

So, essentially, it is about the thought, but that doesn't necessarily mean a handmade gift is better than a store-bought one, or that a store-bought gift is thoughtless.

3. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Thought is more meaningful. Expensive gifts are nice to receive but as someone who only gets things like money on holidays rather than something personal it just means nobody knows anything about me and that they're not very close.

4. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I believe that thought is more important than cost. Anyone can just grab something off of a shelf and give it to me. What takes time is actually thinking about what I like, what my hobbies are, and what I find beautiful and basing your gift off of that. The present could cost $1 or $100, I don't care. As long as I can tell from the present that you care about me I will love it forever.

5. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    In my opinion gifts should be about both thought, and expense. A thoughtful person would know that no one likes a cheap gift. People want a gift that they can use, or be proud to have. In my opinion. A thoughtful gift is an expensive gift. :)

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I disagree. Sure, that's definitely true of some people. I'm the type of person who DOESN'T want people to spend large amount of money on me, though, and I know others who are that way, too. I don't necessarily want some cheap quality item that doesn't suit my personality at all, but someone who knows me well, will be able to pick out something that's not expensive or make something for me that is definitely up my alley and that I will appreciate, even without a high price tag.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually it's the thought that counts, but if the gift is expensive, then it would be more impressive. ;) Of course any gift, regardless of the price is well appreciated, but if I were to give gifts, especially if it's someone that I just like but I don't know very well, then I tend to "give to impress", so to speak. :cool:

8. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on the person you are giving your gift too. If that person is really a friend or someone close to you then he/she will give importance to your thought. But for me thought is more important no matter the cost if you give a gift with a nice thought then the gift will automatically become priceless , Thats what i think is true!:)

9. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I think that both matters. The thought is of course the most important, but it wouldn't be fair to get (say your girlfriend) a pack of gum for Christmas because you know she likes it. The thought is there, the meaning is there, but will she really appreciate it? Surely, I believe that if you really care for a person you could go out of your way a bit. I'm not saying buying an expensive cologne, but instead, putting 2 and 2 together to making a special gift.

10. kalinaprim

kalinaprimNew Member

Threads:
    I am a huge fan of handmade gifts. I like the idea that this person spent time and effort to make me something from his/her hearts. In my view, you always can go and buy something....and yes, it will be expensive, but the feeling is different. My boyfriend always buys me something expensive for my birthday or another special occasion, but the most appreciated present was when he bought me a ring -shaped lollipop and a handmade card and told me for the first time that he loved me.

11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It should really be a balance of the two. I do not mind something that did not cost a dime BUT I do mind when I went out of my way to purchase something expensive without the knowledge that a homemade/cheaper option would have been acceptable. THAT can be frustrating.

12. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    You have a point.

I think a gift has to have a little of both. Sure. I believe the thought is what counts the most, but if you give someone a cheap gift that is going to over shadow the thought, and ruin the gesture.

You have to make sure you have a good balance between the two. However. I think that you can never go wrong with something that is extremely expensive.

13. Shruti05

Shruti05New Member

Threads:
    If am receiving or giving any gift, I would first go with the thoughtful ideas of gifting. I always choose to gift something quirky homemade things.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Without a doubt I am more of a though person when it comes to gifts. I don't have a lot of money to begin with, so the only thing that I ever have to work with is thought. I investigate and discover what the person who will be receiving the gift wants, and I try to figure out the means to get it. If it is out of my price range then I will most likely try to get something else that the person wants, within my price range. Or if it something like a book or music or whatever, I'll just download it from the internet. No point buying someone something purely because it is expensive, when it is of no use tot he person.

15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    No question, I always choose thought over expense...both in giving and receiving gifts. I know a lot of people (myself included) who are struggling with money and don't necessarily have much or even anything extra to spend in terms of gifts, much as they would love to, but who still put thought and effort into a gift they made or a gesture or thought...that means a lot more to me than someone just having the money to throw around on a gift they put zero thought into. I think the thought should be the main point with a gift/holiday.