Gifts For A Cancer Patient

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by H.C. Heartland • Apr 12, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My friends husband has been diagnosed with cancer that has metastasized from his colon, to his lungs. They cannot operate but he is beginning chemo. We made him a puzzle out of a photo from a mentor because he loves puzzles. I am also thinking of cutting and donating my hair. Does anyone else have any ideas for gifts or things to do for cancer patients. I am currently living far apart so I am looking for things I might be able to do without being there.

2. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    You can find a deal on a variety of magazines subscriptions on sale and have them mailed to their house. He will be spending a lot of time not being able to get out of be. Magazines are fun and easy to flip through with a lot of pictures. Just pick out some of his favorite subjects or hobbies. I would not overlook sending a thoughtful magazine subscription to your friend, too. She will need your support, too. Wishing you, your friend, and her husband good wishes.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    That is a great idea! My friend likes embroidery, jewelry making, and card making. So that should be easy. He will be a bit harder but he likes camping and wood working so I should be able to find something along those lines. Thanks for the great idea!

4. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    Your welcome, I speak from experience because this is what I do for my mother. She lives in another state, and this is a way for me to send a gift on a regular basis, so she knows I am thinking about her.

I, also, love to go the flea market, and I keep my eyes open for little memento's that fit inside an envelope, that remind me of special memories, we have shared. Just be careful, that you add extra postage, if it is on the heavier side.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cancer or no cancer, I think that everyone appreciates some quality time with friends and family. Inviting your acquaintance for dinner or going on a bike ride together might do wonders. Going for a picnic and connecting with nature will be a great benefit for everyone. The main thing is to not talk about illness but about positive, happy things. And if you talk about the illness, only encouraging and uplifting thoughts and words should be expressed.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think something to occupy him during chemo would be a nice idea. From what I know, having chemo can involve being sat there for a few hours on a drip so I imagine it could get pretty boring and we all know what the magazines at heath centres are like! A puzzle book could be good, perhaps crosswords or sudoku - things that require a great deal of thought.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I think any handmade craft would be a good gift idea for cancer patients. Knowing that you put out your effort and time making that stuff, they would appreciate your present even more. A letter of encouragement and hope would be great as well. Anyway, it's always the thought that counts. ;)

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the very best gift one can give to a cancer patient who is so dear to him is support, strength, and be one with his suffering. Give him hope! Be always at his side, and of course, don't show pity as this isn't going to help him in any way. Treat him as if he's just simply gonna get it over, that he will be cured, no matter how vague the chance becomes.

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone wants to feel as normal as possible. Think of things you would give him if he was healthy. If some of those things are things he could still use while he is sick, those are probably the best things.

10. Linkess

LinkessNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone know where I can find inexpensive or free sample size products for a gift basket? I am a volunteer at a 'hotel' for cancer patients who can not afford to pay for lodging while they are having treatments. I would like to leave a little gift in the rooms for those checking in. Most of our guest are return visitors and it is so heart warming to watch them bravely face the ordeal of chemo and radiation repeatedly, knowing how it makes them feel worst for the moment. I just wish I could do something special for them to make them feel welcomed.

11. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    I also faced this dilemma last month. My co-worker resigned earlier this year because of Cancer. For the longest time, she was okay but late last year her Cancer relapsed that is why she had to resign. Anyway, she was like a mother to me so I thought of giving her a gift for her birthday last month. I kept searching online for suitable gifts for her. Some suggestions were comfortable bedrooms slippers, blankets and moisturizing lotion. The gift I gave was none of these but I think, she still appreciated them. I gave her magazines about celebrities since I know she liked them and organic tea.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother is about to go in for cancer treatment, for colon cancer and will be in the hospital for about a week after the surgery, so this has been on my mind as well. I think the thing she wants more than anything is for some of us to be there with her instead of being at the hospital alone by herself all that time. I know you mentioned you'll be at a distance, but what about something like an Android Tablet or an iPad if they have access to WiFi in their hospital room or at home? They can find all sorts of online magazines to read, but can also Skype with their friends from afar as well to keep in touch a bit. It might be nice for them to see some familiar faces while they are bed ridden. But at the very least it would provide them some entertainment to take their mind of of being immobile.

There are even Google+ groups of people who will go on hikes with their camera and live stream the hike to people who are bedridden, listening to the patient's requests to go checkout whatever they're interested in, kind of like a virtual hike.