Gifts for Grandparents

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by chiofthenorns • Sep 8, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We celebrated Grandparents' Day yesterday, and I still haven't given gifts to my grandparents. I love them very much, so I want to give them something special. I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions as to what I can give them. I don't want to give them gift cards or money because they seem so insincere. Thank you in advance!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Grandparents normally have a lot of free time. The best gift you'd get them is something that would them 'kill' time. Chances are you know what your grandfather likes [his hobbies]. If he likes fishing for example a subscription to a fishing magazine would be great.

If your grandmother likes cooking, get her cookbooks so she can try out new recipes. But if gardening is what she loves, get her gardening tools.

3. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Books are the way to go for sure. My grandma used to like gardening but she suffers from bad sciatica now so anything related to that is out. My grandpa is a avid reader and particularly fond of Readers Digest. So I bought him a year subscription to that. He was very happy for it. And my other grandma, on my dad's side I bought a juicer for because she mentioned it many months back. She was so happy and amazed that I remembered she said it. It made me feel good inside. And from what I understand from my uncle she uses it at least twice a week.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you think they would enjoy browsing the internet, assuming they don't know how to yet? If yes, then you can give them a tablet or a touch screen smartphone. My dad seems to enjoy using Facebook although he doesn't have grandkids yet. He's 69 years old already.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whenever I have to give presents to the grandparents in my family, I usually just buy small furniture items like lamps and fruit baskets or flower cases, because I know they would appreciate having some nice things to decorate their home with. Although, as much as possible, I also try to tailor their gifts to what their particular interests are, if I can.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Pictures!

One I often recommend is a digital photo display slider. Upload pictures of yourself, grandkids, family, etc. They can plug it in, see the pictures regularly, and feel at home with those they love. You can also change the pictures the next time you visit so they always have new pictures to look at.

7. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    My grandfather was a man who I deeply loved and respected and who taught me a lot of things when I was younger and so one year I asked him what he would like to have in his possesion (without hinting at anything) and I got him what he said, a volume of poetry from one of our country's less famous but known and awesome author that he really respected. So I don't know, stuff like that, from the heart you know? Thats what I like to give loved ones.

8. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is an amazing idea, and one I had never really thought about before. You're right, grandparents love to look at old photo albums and reminisce about the past quite frequently. So it's only natural that they would love to see what their children and grandchildren are up to through pictures. I'm not sure how the digital photo displays work, but I'm definitely going to look into them for a future gift.