Gifts for Older Men

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by lizzief79 • Sep 7, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am looking for some help from the community on here. My dad is in his late sixties and has Parkinson's disease. He cannot walk well so does not go out much. He cannot drink alcohol. Does anyone have suggestions about things that you can buy for older men like my dad? It is coming up to his birthday and I would be grateful for any suggestions.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What does he enjoy? Reading? You could get him a kindle or a book reader and download some of his favorite books, or an ipod touch with his favorite music so he can listen wherever he is?
    Parents can be hard to buy for, so what they enjoy most is more useful. It depends what he has, you could buy him a subscription to Netflix/Amazon Prime or something similar so he can watch his favorite films.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I always get my dad a book of some sorts, because he spends a lot of his time reading. Sometimes it's difficult because I don't know what he's read and what he hasn't, but I can usually find something. Other times I'll buy him something comfortable to wear, like slippers or a jacket. He doesn't really like anything fancy, so he's pretty easy to shop for most of the time.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Buying gifts for my father has always been a hard thing for me ever since I was young. Before I just buy a good polo shirt or several hankerchiefs. But after I got married and had my three kids, I always give him a photo of my kids (with him on the picture too) in a frame. He really loves his grand kids so I know that he likes it too.

Older people are more sentimental, usually at their age they like their gifts to have special meaning. Like a special food that reminds them of some place or event, a handmade greeting card made by the person they love, or some novelty items to add to their collection of things. :)

5. copelandbessie

copelandbessieNew Member

Threads:
    If I may suggest, at their age they prefer to spend quality time with their love ones. Maybe treating them out for dinner or lunch.

6. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I struggle to buy gifts for my father too. He is the kind of person that doesn't like a fuss and would rather you didn't spend money on him. So I like to do things that are special but not expensive. Over the years I have: drew his portrait, fixed up his computer, made a CD of his favourite songs, brewed non-alcoholic ginger beer, gave him a home grown fruit basket, bake him a cake. I always make sure to call on his birthday and spend a good hour or so catching up. He always appreciates the effort more than the gifts.

7. elbycap

elbycapNew Member

Threads:
    Hi Enthusiast,
    Large print books, puzzles (simple), comedy videos (laughter is always good medicine) and I know it sounds weird but a coloring book. One thing I know about all ages, is that we all like to have fun. I would also suggest videos from his childhood/era. Whatever comedians and shows he watched as a young person would work. Be well and remember things always work out!!!

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    In my opinion, TV is what most men of the previous generation really enjoy, so it were me, I'd strongly consider just getting him a very large TV, especially since he doesn't go out much. If he isn't interested in it, then I'd just recommend getting a tablet instead. Apple devices are very easy to learn as many of the older folks in my family have already figured them out and are using them now with much ease. That way they could access and watch anything that interests them including videos, articles, or even podcasts.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know your dad personally so I can't suggest a "best" gift for him, but since you know him well, just base your gift from what interests him. But based on his condition you can give him something to occupy his mind like a good book, a tablet, or even a pet like a cat or bird or a fish, something to help cheer him up and divert his mind.

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    My dad is a movie junky. One time we got him a big tv, the next year a tv stand with wheels (he loves to be able to move the tv), then a blu ray with internet and Netflix access. Other small gifts I've given him are dvd's, music cd's, a wallet, shoes, shirts... He also likes to go out to eat at a restaurant for special occasions, since normally he's the one that cooks on the house.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Does your dad like material things? If he doesn't like those, you can just reserve a restaurant, so all of you can have a dinner together. You can invite his close friends and other family relatives that he hasn't seen in a long time but live close by. I think that he might appreciate this more. :) I hope that you find the perfect gift for your dad!

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have enough money to spend why not give your dad a gift that will last a life-time. Hire an artist and have him create wall art with a lasting message telling your dad how much he means to you. Yeah it could be costly but every time, you dad sees the artwork on the wall, it's a constant reminder to him that you love him and that thought will keep him happy.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My family gives a lot of consumables. Think of the kinds of snacks and treats your dad likes. There are lots of specialty stores in malls and other places that have nice little packages of snacks and candies, chocolates ect that make great gifts. For example my friend's grandpa likes nuts and coffee, so every Christmas he usually gets several cute little boxes of mixed nuts and packages of various nice coffees. Those kind of gifts are usually the easiest for older people who don't need things that take up space, and it's something that they can enjoy.