Gifts You Shouldn't Give Someone For Their Birthday?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Denis Hard • Apr 15, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Read a blog post that seemed to suggest that people expect certain types of gifts on their birthdays but can the recipient of gifts be too choosy? Any gift someone gives, you take it, say you are grateful and smile, right?

What do you think? Can flowers be a good birthday gift?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They say, "It's the thought that counts," but I'm finding more and more that a lot of people don't agree with that sentiment. Some people would give you a detailed list of do's and don'ts when it comes to their birthday gifts. If people are that picky, I think they should just go buy something for themselves, since that seems to be the only sure way they'll get precisely what they want.

I don't offer an idea unless someone asks me specifically, and then only if it's something I really want as well as being something that is affordable. I don't like to ask for stuff.

I think flowers are okay as a gift. I guess it depends on the person.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On one hand, I do think that the recipient of gitfs can be way too picky. My mother comes across like this. It always seems like nothing is good enough, if it is not exactly the way that she wants it. But having said that, why should she settle for gifts that she's either not going to use, or doesn't want? If someone gives me something, I am appreciative of the sentiment. But I want to receive stuff that I will use and like.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gifts should be accepted with grace and appreciation even if you don't like them. Flowers aren't a real gift to me, but they are a gesture, but I don't like flowers anyhow. Some people like flowers, but I do think gifts should be something you can keep. Chocolates are a different kind of gift because you can get physical enjoyment and share them. I've had some awful gifts I have had to smile and say thanks for.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people feel that way about flowers, Theo. I guess for me it's a little different, because I tend to think of gifts in terms of things I probably wouldn't buy for myself. I don't buy flowers for myself, so I guess that's why I don't mind.

My biggest issue with flowers is that I find them to be way too expensive, especially for something that is just going to die. So, they do kind of feel like a waste, as beautiful as they might be. Frankly, I prefer one stem as a gesture (like you said) to an entire bouquet or arrangement of overpriced flowers. I like flowering plants as well, because those last longer.

6. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    Unless it was someone like your spouse(female spouse, that is), then I would never go with flowers on a birthday. Maybe if they are a florist, they would appreciate something like that. I don't know. Flowers are usually a date night/Valentines day type situation.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think one of the worst gifts you could give would be something like exercise equipment or gym membership unless they are already health nuts that could use more funding for their hobby. In general I think people don't want to be reminded they need to lose weight on their birthday, especially if that gift were to come from your significant other.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Chocolates aren't great for everyone. Someone who is watching their weight or diabetic, for example, wouldn't be able to get any enjoyment out of them. Similarly, some people are allergic to flowers. So if you're considering giving a gift like this, it might be wise to make sure that it is actually suitable.

I cannot abide receiving teddy bears or similar plush toys. I don't find them cute at all and they serve absolutely no purpose.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if you want to give someone flowers it appears like you didn't have time to find anything special for them. Basically, it looks like an afterthought. If you want to give flowers, why not give them living flowers in a pot, or some edible plant?

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Upon reading the title of this thread I was going to say 'a disease' but my guess is you're thinking of something a tad different. The truth is the worst gifts I've ever gotten were from people who were supposed to know me yet still happened to purchase garbage I hate. But if we're speaking generally never get someone something they have to keep alive. Especially if they have no pets. That never goes well.

11. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    Flowers are not a good idea, if you know the person well enough I'm sure you'll find an appropriate gift for them even within your price range. For some it might be a book from their favorite author, a potted plant or even a voucher.