Giving K-pop A Try?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by keytcee • May 8, 2015.

1. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Has anyone ever heard of K-Pop? K-Pop or Korean Pop is really huge nowadays not just in Asia but also in different countries. It's been around for a really long time now but people are only discovering its awesomeness just recently. The songs are obviously in Korean and a lot of its fans don't understand a word the artists sing/say but are automatically drawn in by the catchy and addicting melody and beats. There are a lot of K-Pop artists going to North and South America to tour there as well (like Super Junior, one of the first groups who rose to stardom who finished a South American tour just last year).

Have you heard any K-Pop songs yet? Do you like them or hate them? Would you give K-Pop a try?

2. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    I have been listening to Kpop for almost a dozen years now and I love it to bits. I love the catchy beats and the dancing. I was a dancer for a long time, so the dancing is a big hit with me. I find that not many people are open to it, though. When I tried to introduce it to my friends, they wouldn't even try it. I also enjoy music from many other countries, but I listen to Kpop the most.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not only heard of K-Pop but I've been listening to a number of K-Pop songs for some time now, partly because of my love for Korean dramas. It's weird how the international community equates Korean music with the term "K-Pop" when in truth, there is a wide variety of genres in this so-called K-Pop industry. I've listened to several Korean soul, RnB and underground hip-hip songs which are far removed from mainstream pop, yet ironically, they still fall under the bigger umbrella of K-Pop. Well, you should give K-Pop a try if you want to. Listening to foreign music widens your horizon. I'm rather picky with my concepts so I'm more inclined to listen to music produced under YG Family. Favorite groups thus far are 2ne1, Bigbang, Winner, AKMU, Epik High, Jinusean and the sub-unit Hi Suhyun. Psy is from YG too so all the more reason to love that label. My preferred non-YG singers/groups: Lunafly, Gummy, JYJ, Sistar and Jang Jae In.

4. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I guess others won't give it a try because they thing it's all about boy/girl groups with too many members who wear the same clothes and sing repetitively. I hope this mindset is changed because K-Pop is really great! So do you still dance now? Have you ever tried doing a dance cover for a K-Pop song? I mean, you don't have to join competitions or anything but I think people who do dance covers on YouTube are amazing.

I agree with you so much! But I think people just stuck to calling it K-Pop because it became famous as K-Pop but I guess you can also call it Korean Music in general?

I'm not only into pop groups like Super Junior and SNSD but I'm also into the indie artists like Urban Zakapa, Standing Egg and J Rabbit. Have you heard of them? They aren't that famous but they're great! I'm also into CN Blue and FT Island since I like rock as well. I really really like Epik High, though! They recently just came to my country to do a concert and I didn't get the chance to watch them. They're such an amazing group and that's saying something since I'm not even into rap!

#4May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I listen to a German rock band (Rammstein) but that's the only one that I listen to as far as foreign acts are concerned. I know K-Pop, it's quite popular in my country, but I'm not into their sound per se. And the way the males style their hair looking all blond doesn't help, lol.

6. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    K-Pop has become so hugely popular not only in Asia but also all around the world nowadays that I find myself listening to it almost everyday. From the catchy and upbeat ones to the mellow or even sad ones. You name it, I listen to a lot of K-Pop songs now. I guess the popularity of most of Korean TV series as well as movies played a big role in making K-Pop so popular now.

Personally, I find foreign (non-English) songs very interesting. Even though, most of the time, I don't understand a word they are saying. But I guess, it is innate among us to be curious of the unknown or unfamiliar. I do not only limit myself to K-Pop but I also listen to J-Pop (mostly anime OSTs) and even Chinese songs.

So if you're asking if I like K-Pop, hell yeah!

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, K-Pop seems to point out to only one genre and KMusic does sound more appropriate and representative of the whole industry. Unfortunately, I have not heard of Standing Egg, J Rabbit and Urban Zakapa. Although I listen to Japanese indie music, I have not really considered Korean indie artists. In the near future, I'll give them a try. A lot of the drama OSTs I listen to may have belonged to the indie category.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry, but I do not like K-Pop. I have tried listening to some of them especially the soundtracks to the Korean dramas that I watch. I admit that they are catchy, but apart from the soundtracks that I like, the other songs are just intolerable. Honestly, I don't get the fascination of some people with it. I would understand if someone understands the lyrics. But if you do not speak Korean, how can you appreciate a song or sing a song that you do not understand. Music is not just the rhythm or melody. It's about the meaning, too. (JUST MY OPINION)

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My only experience of K-pop is Psy's two most popular songs. I must say I found them both very catchy, and I'm not going to lie, I really like Gangnam Style. But apparently this isn't even the best K-pop out there, so I'd be quite happy to investigate all the recommended K-pop singers.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I really have no clue about this whole K-pop hype. I don't get the fascination at all. I've heard some songs in the passing maybe and it obviously didn't leave an impression on me. It's clearly not for me but I'm not going to judge people who are into K-pop. To each his own and all that.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I do listen to Kpop since they are pretty popular here in my country. Their music is really not that bad at all. I do enjoy them actually. I love the girl groups such as APink, 2NE1, Girls Generation, After School,
    and KARA.

12. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    I think K-Pop is interesting because of how their culture is so much different from American culture and that is shown through the music that is made. I like a few K-Pop songs, but I never really have gotten into it enough to really say that I am a fan. I feel like it is a little overrated because a good amount of K-Pop songs are not that great in my opinion.

13. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I am filipino and I love K-pop. I do not understand the language the majority of the time, but I love how their music isn't about sex and drugs. I also love watching their variety shows such as Running Man.

14. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I had been into K-pop since 2009 when I first listened to Wonder Girls, but I was really into it at the start of 2010 because of 2NE1. I am rather picky and have a high taste, so I don't just listen to any group, no matter how popular they are.

I prefer songs from YG Entertainment. 2NE1 is my ultimate bias. I am not a fan of Big Bang, but I respect their talent and love for making music. Akdong Musician is also a cool brother-and-sister duo, and they have very catchy songs. Lee Hi is one performer that I like because of her powerful vocals. Epik High also has cool songs. You got to give Tablo credit for writing such powerful angsty poetic lyrics.

Non-YG, I like IU for her sweet voice. Although some of her songs are a bit bubblegum, her voice is very heartwarming. Same goes for Juniel, a singer-guitarist. As for her, I think Juniel's Japanese songs were better than her Korean songs. Bangtan Boys is a group that I don't follow often, but I love their songs for that heavy beat, not the usual bubblegum pop that is often played. T-ara is another group that has cool and catchy songs. After School also has cool songs. Sometimes, they go from cute songs to mature and heartbreaking songs. Wonder Girls have cool songs too, and they were the ones who brought retro into the scene. They were so chic and sassy.

Pop dominates K-pop right now, but they have bands too. Famous bands in Korea are FT Island and CN Blue, both belonging to the same agency. Korea also has Busker Busker, an underrated group with cool songs to boot. I say underrated because Busker Busker is an indie group. Despite it being an indie group, its song "Cherry Blossom Ending" won in a music show, with the group up against two music giants. After that incident, there emerged a saying in K-pop world, "They just got Busker Buskered." Lunafly is great too. They're more of an acoustic band. It's just that, one member left, and they have two new additions to the group, but I have no more idea what they are up to.

Even though I cannot understand Korean, I still love some of K-pop songs. It's just like loving J-anime or J-drama OSTs even though you cannot understand Japanese at all.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know this is your opinion but you have to exert a bit of responsibility every time you give one because you may actually offend other people's sensibilities. Also, the world is a diverse place. We speak different languages and adopt different practices. But just because a song is sung in Korean that doesn't mean it's totally meaningless. Ever heard of translations and Romanized lyrics? These two things help people appreciate Korean songs and sing them. Compared to those cuss-oriented raps, ear-piercing death metal and silly break-up pop songs, you can actually find more meaning in many K-Pop songs. You're not obliged to be a fan, but to say such songs are meaningless bespeaks prejudice.

16. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    No I don't really like k-pop, I don't even like pop that much. I don't like it because it's just a catchy tune with words that I don't understand and most of the music videos don't make any sense.

17. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard some songs but as far as music is concerned I listen to Japanese songs more often. Well I do not have anything against KPop, it isn't bad at all, I do watch Korean series but when it comes to music I don't listen to them that much.