Giving Your Home A Deep Cleaning

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Rosyrain • Jun 4, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    In my family 3 out of 4 of us suffer from dust allergies so I have to give my home a deep scrub at least every 2 months. This means wiping everything down, to include the walls and baseboards in every room of The House. It can be an exhausting task, but I always feel so good about my house when I am done. How often do you give your house a deep cleaning?

2. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I try to give my house a spring clean in the spring but often don't get around everything till the summer. It tends to be an annual thing where I wash down and steam clean everything.
    Although, I do the usual whip around the house weekly. My mother told me that it did not pay to be too clean as we need contact with some dirt from an early age to build up a resistance to germs. I don't know how true that is.

3. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I do a big cleaning about every three months. I don't have any allergies, but it is just the way I make sure things don't get out of hand. I set aside a special time, so I do not have to rush and I listen to music and try to enjoy it.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do have allergies and have to clean the house to keep from sneezing my head off. I carpets need to be cleaned right now. I dust the corners and everythings once a week, clean the kitchen and bathroom a few times a week.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My OH has sinus issues so I do the deep clean on a monthly basis. I've only got a small 2 bedroomed terrace though so it doesn't take that long. I've got mostly hard floors too and little fabric upholstery so it's really not the chore it sounds. I'll do upstairs on one day and downstairs the next.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m another who does it once a year and usually ends up putting it off until summer. So I’m about due for it. I do try to keep on top of things and give the house a good dusting and vacuum once a week, though I’ve been known to skip weeks. Probably a good thing I have no allergy or sinus issues! But I’ve found that downsizing my possessions has kept things cleaner in general, so a certain amount of slacking off is acceptable.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I dust and vacuum 1-2 times per week and deep clean about once per year. For me deep clean means taking everything out of every cupboard and storage space one at a time and wiping out the space, wiping off anything that is stored for long periods of time and has collected dust ect. Also involves cleaning the bathroom walls and ceiling thoroughly, window washing, and spot cleaning all the walls in the house. I am physically unable to move my couch due to it lacking wheels and being a hide-a-bed, but I vacuum behind and under all movable furniture.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I clean only my living quarters [kitchen, living room and bedroom] every other day but the rest of the home gets a thorough cleaning only once in a year.

I live alone and have lots of things to do each day which would make it impossible for me to be cleaning it all up every month or so. Around Christmas time lots of relatives travel into the country and they usually love to clean up "the old place" and being their host, I must help them.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your question is so simple but it really made me stop and ponder about the state of things at home. Although we clean our house on a weekly basis, we only sweep the floors and the stairs. Once a month, my mom might mop the ground and second floors but that's about that. Most of the residents are busy so we can only clean so much. On holidays, though, because everyone's home and has enough time to spare, it's normal to enter the "deep cleaning" mode. Our house always looks its best right before the New Year.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only do the deep clean on New Year's Day. I'm a fan of Japanese culture and the Japanese think the new year's cleaning is important to start the new year with good luck.

In spite of deep cleaning, I always find dust that I missed every time I move to another apartment.