Gofundme

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ExpertAdvice • Feb 12, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone here know of this online fund raising product? I recently saw it because someone that I know is using it to fund his tuition. How many persons here have used it, or know of someone who has?

2. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I think I have heard of it and only a few months ago. Otherwise, it was a very similar site. I remember it having to do with getting donations and the like. I personally haven't used it but would be interested in seeing what it is about.

3. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used Gofundme but did contribute to a friend who needed donations for her son. It actually didn't go well for her but I do think it is a legitimate site. I guess it just matter how many people will donate to you and whether they think the cause warrants a donation.

4. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    the GO FUND ME campaign was recently in the NEWS (CNN) to be exact when a college guy opened a campaigned for a man who commutes daily. The campaign was initially just to get this regular employee have his own car - but the popularity of the campaign has raised a whopping $300,000 (or more I think) for the guy. :)

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I saw this too. Great story, but with money comes certain challenges. Earlier today I read online where the man went to the police, and asked for their assistance to help him move quickly due to not feeling safe anymore. He has had to move away from the home where he's been, and he's practically in hiding now. People want some of his $350,000 and have been coming to him asking for money.

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've heard of gofundme and kickstarter, and other sites likes these. I think that they are fabulous tools to help people out who are 'in need'. Not too long ago, I saw where the group TLC (remember them?) went on one of these sites to raise money to help them make some new music.

I sometimes go to these sites just to see what's going on. I see all kinds of people online at these sites, from every day people, to famous people. If enough people believe in what you're doing, it works.

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of Go Fund Me, Kickstarter and Paypal Donation campaigns. I haven't donated to any, because I've seen too many people cheating the system, and falsely raise money for things. Also, some people have used those sites for super dumb stuff that because huge. A guy started a campaign to get money to make a potato salad, as a joke, but ended up raising several thousand dollars! Eh, I'm just skeptical of anything that asks for your money nowadays, since half the time it's a scam. :cool:

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this great for emergency situations like a pensioner being evicted form his home, or to pay for medical costs of someone who was mugged and people do rally together. I think also the server who was fired for outing someone who refused to tip because she was pastor had a fund set up for her too. (It was a compulsory party tip)

It is open to abuse though, for people who want to go to college or to move countries. That's their choice, and people can fund them, but rather they did some charity run or walk. Just to set up a campaign and expect people to contribute isn't on.

9. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe there is an obvious answer to this question, but do these people have to claim this money, donations they received, on their taxes? How is this seen when a person receives a donation? Is it taxable income? Or are they operating themselves as a charity?

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would be nice for people in need. I imagine it depends on how well a campaign is advertised whether or not it does well. It's like anything else these days... gotta drive that traffic. A good social media campaign would probably help. Maybe drop a tip to a news source or make a press release too.

Also, keep in mind that many people have been scammed, so they tend to be overcautious. I would be more likely to donate to someone with a child in need than to a guy who wants to buy a car.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never use it because I really don't like asking for money. I have a hard enough time accepting the fact that the government is paying part of our bill and my mom pays the rest.
    As for donating, obviously I don't have the funds to contribute and there are way too many scammers out there like others said.

12. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that many people have been scammed and may be hesitant. I'll be honest, if it hadn't been a person I knew, I'm not so sure I would have donated. We really have to be careful these days .

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think getting funding would be easier for people who are going to contribute something that those who donate will benefit from or contribute something to the greater good. A start up that creates jobs, a new movie that people will enjoy, building a clinic, etc. I'd be far more willing to donate to something like the latter than I would to someone who's "cause" is: "'cause I'm broke."

14. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have never actually heard of this website. I do know that some people have used Facebook to earn money. I even have a family member who tried this and I thought it was hilarious to be honest. I do think such a thing is a great idea, if the need is genuine.

For example helping someone to raise the money for a life saving operation, or so their children can receive certain medical care. Also, can see it if someone is so bad off financially that they are facing foreclosure and they along with their kids could end up living in a car. But from what I am hearing some of these campaigns aren't very serious, someone wanting money to make potato salad. Silly enough, but they actually get money, come on this doesn't seem like a real reason to be needing financial help.

15. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I am on the same page as you. Anyone can go on the site with a fabricated story. If they know how to pull someone's heartstrings then they will pull the sympathy card. Similarly, this happens with people in cities asking for loose change on the streets. I was walking with my boyfriend past a supposedly homeless man holding a sign that said he was hungry and needed money for food. My boyfriend offered to buy him something from McDonald's. Surprisingly, he replied saying it'll kill you and he won't eat that junk. Now, if someone is really desperate for food they would have accepted the offer, especially since not everything from McDonald's is going to kill you. He was more than likely gathering change for something else.

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most likely he was but if someone was offering me McDonald's, I wouldn't eat it no matter what especially when I have GERD. The last time I ate at McDonald's I got the mad runs and that was from something I used to like there. Maybe it's different with me though because I don't like charity anyways. I would probably die if I was homeless because I'd be too stubborn to ask for money.

17. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Very interesting comments everyone, thanks for the input. Safe to say, Gofundme is a legitimate product that offers people a very easy way to raise money on a large scale sort of way. I've been on it twice in a week and I already see where figures have skyrocketed for my classmates about five times the amount I first saw it at...what else can I say but...It works!

18. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Still, I would think if he was desperate enough to make a sign saying he needed food then there would be something on the McDonald's menu. Even if it was just apple slices and dip! Most of the food on their menu is horrible, although if you're starving then you might not mind.

19. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used it, but I did donate money once to a family that was in need. I heard the story on a radio show and logged on to help the family out. You should be careful of who you donate to because some people will just make up stories to get some money. Do you research before making the donation. I am not sure what the screening process is on this site, if there is any.

You basically register with the site and explain your story and the reason you need the money. You can upload photos and other information as well. The donors can then log in and contribute any amount of money to the cause.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've had good success with gofundme both with donating to someone and receiving donations. For a lot of people, they want to help with whatever project you're working on, but dont know how to or what exactly the money will be going towards. GoFundMe clears all that up and its really easy for people to help contribute to your cause.

If you're trying to fund-raise for any kind of event, GoFundMe is a great option to use.