Going Old School

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Jun 13, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many years ago before watching TV at night became "a thing," families would spend their evenings together telling stories, getting to know how everyone's day was and so on. This tradition is largely inexistent these days. Even when one should be focusing their attention on eating, staring at some screen as they stuff themselves has become the norm.

How much money would a family save if they switched off their TV forever?

Would any of you do it? Stop watching TV, that is?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We stopped ages ago and barely watched even when we did. I've raised my children to be present in the moment, so they won't grow up to distract themselves away from the important things.. even the simple things like sitting down with the family to eat and share our days. They don't miss tv at all because being present has always been a priority to my husband and I and we lead by example, so it's just part of who our kids are. TV builds mindless consumers and distracts families from each other.. not a fan lol..

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's possible, but people will feel remote and maybe go online to stream instead. I rented somewhere without a television and it was weird at first, but I ended up watching things on my laptop as did my landlady.

I also lived on a spiritual retreat where there was no television and basically we had each other for company and people could talk or read. Most people did read and then people would talk or cook together. Even though there was wi-fi, it was in a limited area and many people would use that to watch things, both young and old, so it was a habit everyone was used to.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How come the author's cable bill is so expensive at $60 while we only pay $13 every month for our cable subscription? He probably has the premium channels or he chose the most expensive cable provider? Anyway, I am not inclined to watch tv anymore, so living without a tv is totally fine with me. However, I would be bored to death if I don't have an internet connection, whether by PC or other devices.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think families should stop watching television because if you are going to ask me, watching television together is a great family bonding time for us. We actually talk about personal things over lunch or dinner.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We rarely watch television nowadays. Before, when I was single, I used to watch tv all day, every day lol. I can finish series marathons too. But now since I have a son, television is a no no because he is just a year old. I spend all my time taking care of him and playing with him too. We read books all the time, that is is fave thing to do. My husband is very busy so we do not get to watch tv too. The time we get to spend together we just chat and talk about each other's day.