Going Organic

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jfab • Apr 22, 2015.

1. jfab

jfabNew Member

Threads:
    How many of you here notice that almost 90% of what you buy in grocery stores aren't real food? They are processed and with ingredients you can't even pronounce. Do you still buy those food or would you rather go organic?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In an ideal world one would choose organic, but the reality is most of the population can't afford it and stores cannot afford to stock it.

For some people it's a choice of having enough to eat, let alone having organic. I have worked with some homeless charities and you have to realize organic is not economical for the masses. I hope one day it will be, but it's not. Many stores don't stock too many organic foods because they lose money and have to reduce the items as most families are on a budget.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I also think if we all had the choice, we'd go organic in a heartbeat. But of course, it's hideously expensive and the majority of us have to make do with what we can afford. I remember not so long ago, Botswana sold organic only produce, but all that's changed and we're the same as everywhere else. I try to stay clear of anything that's too out there weird, but I'll still buy the non-organic fruit and veg; even though we now know they're nowhere near as nutritious as what some of us grew up eating :(

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The foods that aren't processed aren't all organic. No, I don't care much about the organic label unless I've looked into the company and found out it's absolutely true, to my standards.. and that's not always the case. Stop believing labels.. that's what got everyone in this trouble we have with processed foods these days. A lot of the organics are coming from the very same unhealthy companies too.. what makes everyone think they grew a conscience? lol. I make sure my food is local.. that's most important.. then if I can find truly organic after that, then yes.. every time.

5. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    Our son was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 17 months. We had been relatively healthy before that, but since that time have definitely looked even harder at the foods we eat. I do agree that it is not always an option, especially, like in our case, where we are a one income family (and a private school teacher at that). A few of the things we have done to try to help: we joined a food share program and split the cost with my parents. We also have planted as large of a garden as we think we can maintain. In the very least it allows us to be able to spend money on more organic products when available.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've long given up shopping in supermarkets. In recent years I have almost exclusively grown my own produce or purchased it from farmers at farmers' markets. They don't just sell organic fruit and vegetables there, but also homemade products, such as organic breads, jams, cakes, cheeses, pickles, etc.
    I've stopped supporting multinational corporations, and I hope that more will follow my example. :)

7. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I would love to go organic as I really believe that would cure half of my stomach problems! But sadly I, like many people could simply not afford it as organic food is so very expensive. I would love to because it is healthier and more eco friendly but it's not going to happen any time soon.