Going to the movies alone

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by themotleyshopper • Apr 9, 2013.

1. themotleyshopper

themotleyshopperMember

Threads:
    I mentioned to a friend that I go to the movies by myself sometimes. It's not that I don't have friends to go with, but sometimes it's nice to just go alone. It's like downtime for me...and I don't have to share my popcorn, LOL. She insists that this is weird. Just wondering if anyone else goes to the movies alone?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have gone to the movies alone. It's not so bad. I enjoy it especially during the matinee screenings. I don't care to eat movie theater food. I bring in my own snacks if I think I'm going to get hungry.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch movies alone at my house but I have never tried watching a movie at the cinema alone. Watching flicks at a movie house is one of my ways of socializing with others. That's why I always watch with my girl or with my friends. If I want to watch alone, I just do it at the comforts of my home.

4. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Not weird. I did go the movie alone by myself. Don't care what others think about and I just enjoy myself.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    How is it weird? Not everyone's got to be surrounded by people talking, eating popcorn in the loudest way possible and texting while trying to enjoy a movie, right?

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have a lot of friends who do this as well. I don't find it too weird, but it's just not for me. I understand your point, in that it's really not that much different from watching TV at home, and it's not like you would be talking to your friends if you were with them inside the theater anyway. But for me, if I wanted to watch something alone, I would just do it at home because it's where I could be a lot more comfortable since that's what I would be aiming for anyway if ever I do decide to go to the theater alone.

7. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I would never watch a movie in cinemas alone. I just don't like the idea. I would rather watch a movie in my house if that would happen. For me, watching movies in cinema associates being in a fun activity with friends and going alone would just be sad for me.

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I have never went to see a movie alone in my life but I am completely open to the idea.
    I think it could be good for you to just go by yourself and enjoy the movie although most of us like to have company with us. I find nothing wrong with this and I think I might go to the cinemas myself one day.

9. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I have gone to the movies by myself twice. I do tend to go for the matinees if I'm going alone because I like having less people around. I really like it as well and it is fun to go alone. It isn't like you are meant to talk to someone throughout the movie regardless. But if I can't find someone who wants to see a movie I've been dying to see I would be willing to go alone.

10. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I just can't go in place like the movies or a big restaurant by myself. Every one stares at you, I know they do because when I see someone doing I stare at them. I just feel like an outcast by myself and to see everyone around you with someone make you feel even more lonely. I have been in certain situations like at work where I have to eat alone on my lunch break.

11. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I would never go to the movies by myself. But it's just my preference-- there's alot of stuff I don't like to do alone.

12. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to the movies for years and years. However I cannot imagine going to a movie alone. What's the fun in watching with a bunch of strangers? A joy shared is a joy doubled.

13. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    What is really cool is go in the middle of the day, where is only like 3 or 4 people at screenings, so you got that huge place pretty much for yourself.

14. XOHum

XOHumMember

Threads:
    I also did go to the movie alone only 1 time. so bad mood as to keep silence.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never gone to the movies alone. Before kids I was too on the go with friends and boyfriends to sit still long enough to watch one (unless on a date with said friends or boyfriends) and after children, I just always want to bring them with me. So I guess for me, movies are a great date thing to do, but I can see the appeal in going alone. I might consider it for my alone time, but I really only get that in the morning anyway.

16. mbarrett

mbarrettNew Member

Threads:
    No, that's not weird at all. Going to the movies is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. Don't listen to those who say otherwise, do what makes you feel happy and just enjoy yourself. For some, being alone can be more fun and enjoyable than with a group of friends. Find what you enjoy and pursue it.

17. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    It's not weird. I personally enjoy going to the theater with friends and watching movies at home alone for downtime. Going out to places is fun when you're with people, and I consider going to theaters a going out sort of event.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some people that cannot stand being alone for one minute. I have some friends like that, and I don't know how they make it through the day without having a nervous breakdown or something.

I used to live right by a theater and would walk over there on Saturday or Sunday afternoons to catch a movie by myself from time to time. The place would never be packed but I would definitely see a lot of people coming in by themselves too. There are just times where I want to see a movie and perhaps none of my other friends are interested in the movie, so I just go see it myself. I can actually enjoy it without them complaining about it afterwards.

19. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I have gone to movies alone a couple of times. It felt a bit strange, but I'm not sure why. I don't really interact with the other person during the movie anyway, since talking is forbidden. I've done it when wanting to see new movies that none of my family or friends wanted to see.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to go to the movies alone frequently when I was in college because there was a $2 movie theater close to my school. Now that I'm a mom, I never go anywhere alone. My teenage daughter is my best friend and constant companion. But I've also become more frugal so I rarely go to the movies anymore.