Going Too Far Giving Used Items As Gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Denis Hard • Mar 22, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you think of giving used items as gifts?

They don't necessarily have to be so old that even the person who's getting the gift will simply toss it out. I know people who regularly give clothes that don't fit them anymore to others as gifts. Others give away electronics they don't use anymore.

I think if you have a lot of stuff you don't use at home, giving them away could not only declutter your home but also save you some money on gifts.

Thoughts?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This one isn't for me LOL I mean i'm all for giving my old stuff to friends and family; some barely used, if they can find some use for it. But I wouldn't give them as 'gifts gifts', you know as say a birthday or Christmas gift. I think that'd be tight hehe I know people always say it's the thought that counts, but I really think this would be taking a little TOO far!

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a gift for a birthday or something? Personally, no.. not that I have anything against it, I just always give my things away now when I don't need them. I've donated all excess and there is nothing left to give. If someone gave me something used for my birthday I would appreciate it. It IS the thought that counts and I couldn't care less what someone spends or doesn't spend on a gift; I find that shallow. Even if they didn't put any thought into it, there would be a reason for that I wouldn't ignore lol. I'd prefer no gifts though.. accumulating stuff isn't my thing anymore and I tend to gift with that in mind also. I'd rather not add to someone's clutter unless they ask for something specific.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that I would do this, although it would depend on the item and on the condition. If it is an electronic item, then it would depend on the person I was giving it to. I do not think I would do this for birthdays or other special occasions. I know that the thought is what counts but I would feel really cheap about giving them used items for these occasions.

5. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't do that. I'd re-gift an unused gift and have no problem with doing that, but I wouldn't gift something that I've used that wouldn't have the life expectancy of a new object. I would give them away if someone wanted them, but not for a special occasion like birthdays or Christmas. I think it's too far and a bit tacky if I'm honest.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    If meaning giving my unwanted used items as gifts for special occasions - then no - this is not something that I would ever actually consider doing.

As apart from the fact that - because I generally only replace or discard items - when they've reached the stage of being totally useless to anyone - I rarely, if ever have any items like that - even if I did have some - I have to be honest and say - that I would much rather just donate those items to those that needed them or for that matter to anyone that could find a better use for them - than I could - as a gifting those items for a special occasion - is to me - going too far.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend's family loves used gifts and they are super rich. They like used books and really do think the thought counts because they already have everything they want so they don't mind. It really depends on who you are gifting too. I have some broke friends who don't mind used gifts because they shop at second hand shops all of the time (I am the same way!)

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll tell you truthfully about getting gifts like someone's old laptop, I'd love it! Clothes too for I'm on a very tight budget and have to go to the library to borrow their internet computers, so it's wonderful that a friend or someone nice wants to give me a laptop or desktop. You see it depends on the person I suppose about getting gifts from kinder and generous people for they could always sell their used items. Once a friend of mine wanted to give me their old business desktop and I told them sure, but be sure to keep the mother board cleared of all the old things that the computer did for you. My friend checked it out and she decided to give the old computer to her daughter, oh well.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's alright if it's a specific item that the person wants but if the only point is saving money then I'd be a little more hesitant. If there is no other choice and you are really tight on cash then it may be a acceptable especially if the recipient is aware of your situation but if I was just being cheap I think I'd just end up feeling too guilty down the road so I'd much rather just buy something cheap and brand new. If it were something old and valuable like an antique or a rare item that would be difficult to find brand new then I think it would be okay.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My brother-in-law once said, if you're going to give, give whole heartedly and with an open heart. -and i agree with that. Of course if it were something used that someone had previously expressed a liking for, that's a little different. BUT if I were going to go down that route, I'd give them something else on top, NOT something pre-owned. I've known some people to round up all their very old stuff and pass it onto others as gifts. Never mind the fact that those people don't actually have the same tastes, and are totally different plus the receiver never expressed an interest in those things. I think that's off! I still don't like it at all LOL Either give a decent gift or don't bother at all, is my theory :)

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's not really something I'm into. I mean, if it's an antique or something, that's a little different. I have a relative who collects antique glassware, so yeah, the items are technically "used," but I think it's fine in this case. I think restoring a piece of antique furniture would be a nice gift too. Older handmade quilts and other quality items like that, sure.

I wouldn't just give some old, used up, thing though. I don't really shop second hand for gifts, though to be honest, I have found things in the thrift shop that were new with tags still on them that I've given as gifts. I didn't start out shopping for a gift there, but I have found stuff like that while looking at other things.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel the same as most here. My family and I have cut back significantly on gift giving over the years. Nowadays, we give smaller gifts, or ones that have particular meaning. We sometimes give baked goods, as we know they'll be consumed. We all seem to be more concerned about downsizing and decluttering these days, so giving unwanted items isn't really something we do. As far as used items, it would depend. I'm fine with giving items away for no occasion, but it's doubtful I'd give something used for Christmas or a birthday, unless as mentioned above, it's an antique, another valuable, or something with particular sentimental meaning.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done this but I have received used items as gifts but not for any special occasion. I would rather not give anything if it got so bad that I'd give a used item as a gift for a special occasion like anniversaries, birthdays, Christmas. I would also let them know ahead of time so that they wouldn't expect anything from me and this has been the case since funds are limited.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think sometimes, when a person is really struggling to make ends meet, it can actually mean even more when they give away one of their favourite possessions, as it means that they think enough of you to give you something that they really like. I wouldn't really like to give people second hand things for a birthday or Christmas, but I do think that if that was your only choice, you might actually be more than willing to do it, depending on the situation that you found yourself in.

15. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    When giving gifts, I prefer to give something that is brand new. If I were to buy an item and then put it aside and never use it, that would be a different matter. I would have no problem giving it away as a gift. This also applies to if someone gave me a gift that I have no uses for. It would still be new and unused, so it could serve as a gift for someone else who may be able to use it. But for me to use something and then decide I do not want it anymore, then to give it away as a gift, does not sound like good policy to me. I could give it away or put it in a sale, but it would not be suitable as a special gift for a special occasion.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have given items from the second hand store as gifts. One was a hand made bowl that we use as a hold keys and stuff on the hallway table. I once saw a pretty s.weater for my granddaughter that I would never have purchased brand new because I was not sure she would wear it and it was costly.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family always does this, and nobody takes offense but a few who generally expect too much from other family members. Really, it is usually a win on all front, for the simple fact that money is being saved, and the recipient is getting something that they had previously expressed interest in owning. Nobody complains to the gift giver, but they will sometimes complain behind their back.

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really do this. Yes, I give away my old clothes, gadgets or makeup items but I don't give them out as gifts. They mostly go to family members who need them the most or to relief foundations. I do give out used gifts as gifts but only to people who would find them useful. I don't have a problem with receiving used items, especially from my mom and sister. But I'd like it if others would tell me that it's used and I guess other people would love that honesty as well.

I do think giving unused items can declutter houses. That's why we do that but we always tell these other people that they are used. We have this laundry woman at my mother's house and she gladly accepts used clothes and makeup items from us. She knows that they are used and she still thanks us. I make sure though that the makeup items aren't expired yet.

19. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I would do this, but not as a gift for an important event like a birthday or wedding. Maybe I would just call up a friend, tell her I have some stuff that I no longer need and ask if she wants to come have a look to see if she wants any of it. I might give away jewelry for a friend's birthday if it looks new and if no one has seen me wear it, but other than that I wouldn't. I always give away toys and clothing to my younger cousins and such, but that's about it.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But what if the family member or friend who was getting married has expressed a continued interest in something that you owned? Would it really matter that it was second hand, and would the gift occasion really matter all that much if the second hand item was what they truly wanted?