Gold Plated Jewelry : Is It Worth It?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by suegiplaye • Aug 26, 2015.

1. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I wanted to talk about my experience will gold plated jewelry . I'm a little surprised of it fading so quick. It only lasted a couple weeks before I started to see the rust. What is your experience with gold plated jewelry.? Do you like it or do you think it is just a waste of money?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gold plating here is called Tubog in the local language. That is normally done to old jewelries particularly the ones made of gold. There are types of plating depending on your choice - basic, medium, special. The basic is just to bring back the luster of the jewelry but not much gold while the special is like coating the jewelry with gold so that makes it like brand new. Of course, the cost depends on the type.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think buying gold plated jewelry instead of the real thing can save you lots of money if you are into jewelry.

If you bought gold-plated jewelry that's well-plated it would have taken a little bit longer before it started chipping or fading. It's supposed to take about two years for the base metal beneath it to be exposed fully. It appears to me @OP, you were ripped off.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Obviously it depends on your reasons for buying it - but bearing in mind that there is no such thing as good quality gold plated jewellery - as ALL gold plated or gold overlay jewellery as it is sometimes called - regardless of its quality is generally nothing more than a cheap metal covered with a thin layer of gold - so thin that it tarnishes, flakes, and chips off in next to no time - making it totally unwearable - it is yes - a total waste of money particularly as - if someone really did want to wear cheap metal jewellery - they could buy it at a fraction of the cost of a piece of gold plated jewellery - that would very quickly look almost identical.

Another thing worth considering when thinking of buying gold plated jewellery is that - apart from the fact that many people are allergic to the cheap metals used - the latter generally leaves a greenish residue on skin and clothing.

Personally I prefer the real thing or nothing at all.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To start with, I hate gold, I'm more of a silver girl myself. But before I decided I didn't like gold, I'd buy gold plated jewellery pieces and they irritated my skin. So I took that as a sign for me to just stop! So I never wear gold at all.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmmm I guess it would depend on how much you paid and how nice it looks. As long as you haven't paid too much and it doesn't turn your wrist green, I would say it is worth it! We all have our own tolerance for pieces of jewelry and what we will accept in types of jewelry.

7. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think gold plated jewelry is worth it at all. It is fine if you are buying just for the looks, but when it comes to resale value, it might as well be fake. Unless it is some kind of pure gold there is no value. Don't pay for the gold platting, just buy the fake version.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will never understand the fascination with jewelry, unless it has some sort of sentimental value. It is so boring. I just can't figure out why anybody would spend a lot of money on jewelry, especially when it comes to things like real silver and real gold? I don't think that spending so much money on gold-plated is worth it. I'd much rather get a knock off version, for sure.