Good Bargains?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Nov 10, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Online stores use free shipping as an incentive for shoppers to spend $30. $50 or more. Apparently it's a trick that is often used by retailers to get you to spend more money than you want to. For example, they could offer a discount on a particular item on condition that you buy a number of other items which you might not need at that time.

What do you think of such deals that come with a catch?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends. If I'm not in a rush for the item, I'll wait until I gather up enough stuff to get the discounted or free shipping. I also go for it if the additional amount I need to spend will cost less than what the shipping and handling charges would cost me (and there's something at that price point that I can use). I try to take advantage of free shipping as much as possible, but only if it's not going to end up being anything but free.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I do the same thing. I will wait and make sure I have enough to get the free shipping deal. I also make sure the store will offer free returns as well, this way if I buy a bunch of things to get the free shipping, if they don't fit I can just return them for free. The Gap and Old Navy are really great for this. I know it's a way to get people to buy more, it definitely works for me but I love the convenience of being able to mail back the clothes that don't fit. I find this way saves me time and gas that would have been spent going to the mall.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Well, I live in Hawaii and suddenly everyone adds extra shipping charges. I like the free shipping like with Amazon.com and other sites because they really give you free shipping. It may be an incentive to buy more or it may be a mailing thing when you reach a certain poundage, I really don't know, but I love the free shipping. I get to have all the things I need shipped with free shipping. All my stuff comes in good condition and is exactly what I ordered. I love the free shipping orders even if they are from a certain amount. Free is rare today and free shipping is great for me! :)

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I get hooked by this all the time but I make sure that when I make these purchases I'm not just filling up my basket with unnecessary goods so I can reach the minimum limit. Often times I will get a small item to go with the large item which is the majority and priority of my purchase, and the small item is just a bonus that I only buy to reach the amount. If I only want to buy one inexpensive item I'd much sooner just pay the one or two dollar shipping fee rather than spend a lot more for what I don't need.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if you have already read my post about that item I bought online. It was really a bummer because at 1,200 pesos, it looked cheap. However, when the package arrived, I was being required to pay 800 pesos more for the tax since the item came from Hongkong. I ordered from a local online shop so it is unfair for me to be charged for that tax.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking I ignore them - mainly because - as I normally only buy what is needed - as well as always make a point of waiting until I have more than one or two items to purchase from any one store - before placing an order - it fortunately appears to have paid off - as I haven't as yet ever been in the position of having to consider buying something that I didn't plan to - in order to get free shipping.

That said - I do appreciate just how easy it could be - to fall into the trap of buying more than intended - particularly as the wording of the majority of these offers is very definitely aimed at enticing people into buying way more than they had originally planned to.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have changed my original order when shopping online in order to get free shipping, because I found that the shipping cost would be the same cost of adding another item to my cart, so why not get another item instead of paying for shipping? I usually check online to see if I can find any free shipping promo codes before ordering online.

I wish more retailers offered free shipping on any order all year long. Actually, Target is offering free shipping on any order during the holiday shopping season, so right now that is a great place to shop online!

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a psychological incentive, so basically you feel as if you are not paying for the shipping, but really most places charge a flat rate at fulfillment centers and with couriers regardless of the size of the order.

I would prefer the threshold to be lower, so that would encourage people to order more frequently, and most places do offer a free code for shipping somewhere online, especially when new stocks arrive.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Q
    Well, retailers have to make money too. I mean obviously, I don't like having to buy more than I want to, but if you get free shipping, and the items aren't overpriced to begin with, I don't necessarily have a problem with it. I really didn't like when Amazon changed their shipping thing from 25 to 35 though!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Did you pay the tax though or you just abandoned it? If the item came from abroad it is certain that you will get charged tax for it, even if the item is only P500!

I think the best strategy to take advantage in this situation would be to just buy when you need the item and then wait some more until you need another item to reach the $30 or $50 conditions for free delivery.

12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen those "deals" but I simply ignore them because I will not buy more than what I have in mind.

Big advantage we have when ordering online is that you have enough time to think twice, browse further to compare prices, and even coming back and forth to a "deal" page before actually ordering the product, and yet you can change your mind and not buying it.

Problem is when a deal (real of with a catch) comes while shopping at a brick-and-mortar stores, where a series of factors may push you to do a rush and wrong choice.