Good dictionary apps?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by daimashin • Jan 14, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Any good offline dictionaries on the ios appstore? Hopefully the app is easy to use and comes with pronunciation function. I'm going to switch over from a book to digital now for the sake of convenience.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol. This is easy. Just look up Merriam-Webster Dictionary at the Google Play Store. It's free to download and use. The definitions of words are complete, it shows the origin of each word, and yes, it also has a pronunciation function. It's the most complete free dictionary available IMO. It's a must for every smartphone owner to have this app.

3. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using the Merriam-Webster dictionary app for quite some while now and I am very satisfied with its' performance. I say this after having tested a number of dictionary apps on the play store. It does the job very efficiently and gives very precise and articulate meaning of words. i also love its word of the day feature by means of which you get to learn a new interesting word every day.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the Merriam-Webster app is pretty great, I mean its a dictionary, shouldn't be that hard. But although I have to tell you, it does take a lot of space since its basically storing ALL words in your phone so that's many.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Currently i have Dictionary.com in my phone and it does the job for the most part. It does work offline but only to a certain extent. What i don't like about it is how long the app would launch. I do love the interface, it's very elegant and really nice to look at. However, the interface is not exactly the main reason why i need a dictionary so I've been thinking of deleting it and download the Merriam-Webster Dictionary instead. I've read some really great reviews about it so i might just try and see it for myself.

#5Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    The Merriam-Webster dictionary is your best bet. I have been using it for the longest time now and I've never had any issues with it. It works offline, but you can only hear the pronunciation when you're online. It has a very simple interface and doesn't take too much space.