Good way to save money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jun 1, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people buy things they don't need because they just want them to be there in case of an emergency . . .

Thinking about something bad happening to something you value tends to make your worst fears come true. Or you may deliberately use something badly so it can get worn out faster in order for you to switch to whatever new stuff you've bought.

To avoid spending cash on things you don't need, it's best to buy stuff only when they're worn out and need to be replaced. You'll be surprised at how much longer what you wanted to buy a replacement for [before it was worn out] lasts.

2. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree. Most of us have so much stuff in our house that we never really have the chance to use them let alone take them out of their packaging. It's hard to discipline yourself when it comes to buying stuff especially when you know that you have the money to spend. I for one don't buy things on impulse, even if something that I use breaks, for example my laptop chargers AC cable burned down the other day, instead of buying a new charger, I just fixed the wires with few minutes of soldering and a couple of electrical tape and BAM! I saved $50.

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Ha Ha, while I tend to agree with all this of not needing all the extras, I totally go against that and splurge away. I am a extreme couponer. If I can get 100 packs of toilet paper for free because I got the coupons, I'm going to go get my 100 packs! What I can't use within a reasonable amount of time, I will give away.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people do purchase more than they need just to make sure they do not run out of stuff or the item is on sale. There are only a few items I stock up on toilet paper is one of them, peanut butter and light bulbs are the things I hate to run out of. Everything else I can just get as I need it and make sure I have a coupon for it to help save more money.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, people don't even think that bad things are gonna happen to them when they buy things that they don't need, sometimes, they are just taking advantage of a great sale. But to each his own, I guess. I buy things that I don't need because it will save me the trip of having to go to the mall just for that sole purpose of buying 1 item when I can clearly afford to buy it now in anticipation for future use.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Good way to save money is to stop spending too much for your pleasure. Prioritize the basics like foods and don't spend for something that you don't really need that you only buy for pleasure. Well, you can spend some, but not too far that you would go to excessive spending. Learn how to control yourself. And another way to save your money is also saving through electricity and saving in anything else because it's almost always money that operates on everything.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Avoiding unnecessary travel and food is one way to save. A lot of times I have to do those things out of necessity. Also, there is no need to buy luxury items - like certain clothes and stuff related to hobbies. Finally, of course, cutting down on utility usage is always wise. For instance, you could turn off the lights when leaving your home.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think people do tend to buy more than they can really use. I just tend to buy things when I really need them though. I would like to have spares like batteries and so forth but I really can't afford extra things at this point in time. Sometimes if you get a good price on something though, it pays to buy these extras for instance, a 10 pack of batteries for instance.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know how all of you feel for I like to have a spare mayo on the shelf for when I run out, which I think is okay, but I don't have 3 jars on the shelf for I don't need it. I like sales where you save on what you need, but I don't buy on sale just to have it, I just buy what I need, saving money. Having cash on hand is better than seeing things at home you're not using, I feel.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Opening an account in the bank and pretending that it doesn't exist anymore, haha! :D Avoiding unnecessary expenses always helps too (controlling spending is always one of the best ways :cool:).

11. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Do not get me wrong but it is like you saying that things ought to be bought on demand. I agree to some point. There are things that people buy for precautionary purposes that are not necessary. This includes stuff like clothing. I am of the opinion that one should only buy things like clothes only when they need them. It helps in saving. However, when we come to household items, I think it is always good to have extras. Take for instance the case of toilet papers. What if you have only one and it depletes. You forget to buy in the store and nightfall comes and you feel the urge, what will you do?

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think Americans could get on a better diet because obesity rates are 30% of the population and France I think it is like 11% but they say in 1995 is was 5.5% -because they are starting to eat like us. I would save money by eating less frequent and avoiding snacks as well,also you could walk or ride your bike to the market to save money when you shop-and try to be creative with your meals.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In fairness to people who buy things they don’t need, I subscribe to their idea that it is an investment. My wife is one such person who buys extra light bulbs. When a bulb gets busted, we can easily replace it instead of waiting for the opportunity to go to the hardware to buy a new bulb. With food supplies, we also have stock. But for items that we don’t really need like a car tent (we have a garage) or beach umbrella, I’d say that is a waste of money and not an investment anymore.

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In economics we learn two things which a person basically needs. That is to satisfy his wants and also his needs. If we do understand the difference between them, we won't be misled and won't be spending our money for nothing. Money may or may not be as friendly as it should be based on the propriety of using or spending it. Spending it wisely, that could be a good way of saving it.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with Alexandoy that buying extra food supplies is different from unnecessary spending for an item that you have very little use for, but is on sale.
    When I find a good discount on storable food, I will usually buy several of that item, and we have a pantry room in our house where we can easily store the extra food items.
    Otherwise, we are pretty careful what we spend money on , and only buy things that we actually need. As far as saving money, I believe that buying something when it is on sale is a great way to do that.

16. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    I'm wondering.. None has mentioned ''Investing'' as a way of saving your money.
    I'm surprised because this is the most best way to save the little your pocket might have. Most would prove me right, that, investing returns much than u save unless you saved in a scam/unstable bank/company.
    Right?