Goods That Are Not Worth To Cheap Out On?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by roarzie • Feb 5, 2016.

1. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    What are certain items that you find are worth paying some extra bucks on in order to get to use for a longer time or to just have greater reliability?

2. albreeden

albreedenMember

Threads:
    OH man. Camping gear is my number one answer. "There is no bad weather, just bad gear". Plus, a lot of the good brands offer lifetime warranties. The best example? Darn Tough socks. These will run you about $20 a pair but have a lifetime warranty if you wear them out/your dog eats one.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Running shoes. A good pair of running shoes are worth their weight in goal. A good pair of running shoes can cost up to $200 and will prevent running injuries.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's important to buy at least mid priced small kitchen appliances. I have tried buying the $7.99 waffle iron and the $6 Rival coffee maker, and the $8 Rival hand mixer and I've never had a good result with those bottom tier cheap appliances.
    The minimum it seems like I have to spend to get a decent coffee machine that doesn't leak seems to be $20.
    And even at that price point there are some bad ones so I read the customer reviews on all the big shopping sites.
    Small kitchen appliances are one thing where buying the cheapest isn't the best.

5. albreeden

albreedenMember

Threads:
    Parker is right. Good running shoes are definitely worth the price tag. You should always take care of your feet- they're the only pair that you get.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree with Parker, but I'd add on to that and say that shoes in general should definitely be spent a bit more on considering you'll be walking in them and having something comfortable is worth the price. On that note I'd also add mattress which I think is okay to spend a bit of money on since you'll be sleeping in it every night and if you just buy something cheap, ultimately you will just be short changing yourself from getting proper sleep.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This would apply to everything for me - as because I only buy what is actually needed and can be afforded and am therefore looking for quality and durability - I never skimp on anything - as quality and value for money are always more important to me than the lowest prices - regardless of what it is that I'm buying.

For the simple reason that - not only does buying cheaper products - more often than not - turn out to be a false economy - meaning - they are not always the best option from a money saving point of view - but its normally much more cost effective to pay a slightly higher price for quality and durability - as although a little more expensive initially - because better quality products usually last longer and don't need replacing as often - it generally works out way more economical in the long term.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to save money too much on products that are for my health, as I know that my body will feel much better if I am able to get the top quality products that I need. I will always pay top price for toothbrushes as they are a higher quality. But for lots of other things I really don't mind, and I will certainly pay a little less if it means that I am able to save some money.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anything you intend to use for a long time . . . you need to buy high quality products because if you don't you'll end up spending a lot of money replacing the cheap products. High quality doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive. For me appliances, some electronics and clothes are some things I'll always choose quality first.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With my clothing intended for office use, I never scrimp and as long as I like the clothes, I would purchase it no matter the price. My favorite is blazer for my office use and I am investing on that. Whenever we would go abroad, I will try to purchase one blazer at least as souvenir from that country. Not to forget, I also do not scrimp on shoes although the shoes I buy are not the very expensive kind.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say appliances and other household items like vacuums, lawn mowers. My husband still has the same Honda lawnmower since we bought our house 16 years ago. It works great. At the time he paid over $500 for it but told it would be worth it as it would last a long time. Boy was he right. Our neighbour is on his 3rd lawnmower so it's worth it to buy a good name brand lawnmower. I can say the same for appliances. My GE profile fridge is over 16 years old and still going strong. It's the best. But the absolute best appliance I've ever had is my Kenmore dishwasher, it came with our house and had to be over 25 years old and going strong. The only reason we changed it was because we remodelled out kitchen and it didn't go anymore. But I've never seen a better dishwasher.

12. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are a few things that you should not buy cheap. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is so true. With work, I would buy the expensive shoes for comfort since I was standing on my feet for eight or more hours. Good shoes helped with back pain as well. I would not go cheap on electronics or household appliances. Anything that you are going to want to use for a long time or very often, you do not want to buy cheaply. Better to spend a little more money and get something that is going to last longer and it will eventually pay for itself.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with @ACSAPA@ACSAPA about the small kitchen appliances. Of course, I would say the same about large appliances. In some cases, I'd rather pay for a refurbished or used item of a better brand, than to buy bottom of the line new items. I have purchased used electronics without issues, but I've also had problems with a few of the lower quality ones I've bought. I'd rather buy used in that case than brand new lower end electronics, because the parts used inside of the higher end items are usually better quality, and withstand the test of time.

One thing I've learned not to skimp on is razors. Whether they're disposable or permanent with replaceable blades, I much prefer the quality of a better made razor than buying the cheap ones and cutting myself.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Electronic items are on the top of my list, because they are meant to be used for a long time, so if you can afford an expensive one then go with it, since it will be durable. Cheap mouses are a big no-no too, since they get broken in just one or two months.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Running shoes a good example. The cheap shoes are usually poorly constructed, so they don't provide the proper balance and support and they usually deteriorate very rapidly. Buying the cheaper shoes may be a penny wise pound foolish decision because you may find that you will have to get a replacement in short order, compared to the longevity of the better made, more expensive stuff.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think electronics and appliances are tied for first place for me. As Denis noted, you'll end up spending more long term replacing cheaply made items.

When I had to get a new dryer, the delivery guy asked me how long I'd had the old one. He was shocked when I told him it was over 15 years old. He told me that most of them are now made to wear out in about 5 years, but he did say that the one I bought should last a bit longer. We did our research and felt we got the best value for the price.

I generally go mid range. If you go too low end, you can end up with junk. If you go too high end, you can end up paying more than something is worth or just paying for the name. The really bad thing about this is that the name might not be as big of a deal as you think. Many companies have been bought out by others but still make products under the good names. It's worth investigating.

17. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In another thread, I mentioned shoes as in my case they are used for jogging. Other stuff that I enjoy spending a lot on include web hosting and forum software. However, I'm not really sure if XenForo forum software is necessarily superior to the free packages like MyBB etc., other than with the fact you get really good staff support.

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cellphone is one item that I don’t think we should be frugal with. In my experience, the more expensive the phone, the better (although I cannot vouch for the durability). With personal items, that’s also the case. Expensive shoes are more comfortable for me. I had once experienced wearing a cheap pair of rubber shoes in one of our out of town trips when the sole of one shoe detached. You can imagine my disgust. It’s because that rubbers shoes was made in China huh.