Google Fiber is coming, would you get it?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by micromachne • Jul 28, 2012.

1. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    Google has very recently announced that they were going to start offering their own net service. And the best part is it will be free for 7 years if you get the installation for $300. It's said to be at least 50 times faster than even the best net currently on the market.

Would you buy into this?

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I heard about this and I will get it and test it out. I hope there aren't a lot of glitches and bugs with the system. That's one of the main problems with trying a new service, but I'm eager to see how it will perform with online games. I know the Internet will be blazing fast, but I'll take it for a spin online to see if it still has some hiccups.

3. Kate0525

Kate0525New Member

Threads:
    It's interesting to see the service for free and the charge for installation, as usually it's the opposite. The price per month (if you break it down from the $300) seems too good to be true. Once more information comes out on it, I would probably try it if I had the lump sum to put down on it.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I would absolutely get it if it were available to me. I would love to get off of the congested broadband that I am obviously on and I would just love the choice to pick my provider of my internet service. That would be a huge thing for me. As soon as it becomes available in my area, I will be as high on the list as I can possibly be.

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely try it, think about how much money you spend monthly on the Internet service you have now. Then multiply by 84, I am pretty sure the $300 is a lot cheaper :)

My only concern would be if you would have to pay for installation again if you moved or something. It sounds like a sweet deal so I am sure I will go for it and it is Google who is a trustworthy company, not just some new no name service provider.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't even care about paying it again, because you can easily go another seven years with free internet. Or, you can knock off about $20 to go with whoever the provider is and be angry for another seven years because it's so slow compared to what you had before. :D

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would be all over it if and when it becomes available in my area. My cable internet service isn't bad, but I like to have options. I'm also looking forward to super fast speeds.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I would grab it without hesitation. The rest of the world is really lagging behind the internet speeds of parts of Asia like South Korea and Japan. Even Western Europe lags behind them...America behind them and the rest of the world sadly left in the shadow. I wonder if it is fiber optic technology? It makes sense that Google would want to connect everyone faster...that is what they are here for, plus more people earning online means more money for Google.

The real money for them would not be in the internet service I would suspect but in what doors that opens for them. Just a thought...

9. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder how many years before it goes widespread. It's in one city/area right now. That is far away from being available to everyone. It does sound more than interesting though. Canada lacks decent isp service at competitive pricing.

10. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    I heard about this the other day on a Networking forum and it seems extremely exciting so far. As far as I know they haven't got round to rolling it out in other countries yet although I really do wish they'd get it off the ground quick haha! ;) Due to it being perhaps the only non-subscription based internet service on the market I can see it really blowing its competitors out of the water. Google as a company has just excelled so much in the past few years that I can really see this happening and I look forward to it with great interest.

11. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Of course! That's a great deal for anyone. Just pay $300 upfront then get free internet for SEVEN years. Not only that but it's super duper fast internet. I hear they are stating only in Oklahoma City though. Too bad for me I live in LA.

12. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I really do hope they roll this out internationally... I am truly excited for this and am quite literally bewildered by the prospect of a one-off payment on my internet access. I just wonder what it'll cost after the initial 7 years are up.

13. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    Without a doubt, I would buy into Fiber. Google is far and away ahead of their competitors, and with speed like that how could anyone use a different provider? I can't wait for the service to be widespread.

14. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    Ok WOW. I had not heard of this yet. This seem awesome. I will look forward to hearing more about it soon I hope! That would be great not having to pay a monthly bill and pay it all at once. Would be great as well to have faster speed, who wouldn't want that! But I wonder things like would it be able to move with you if you change locations without high fees etc?

15. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    If it is ever available here in Albania, I will be the first one to switch to it. It is a lot cheaper and if it is faster as well, it is a win-win situation. Have there been any news on this though ?

16. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to try it out and ditch our horrible AT&T speeds. Considering that it's only 25 per month per year, I'd jump on the chance right away. I'd love to try out the speeds since just about anyone else's internet is faster than my current one. And since it's by Google, it's most likely going to be high quality. Besides, even though the 300 is a bit to cough up right away, it's still free for 7 WHOLE YEARS. You're basically paying about 3.60 USD or so per month in the span of 7 years. Think about all the money you'd save!

17. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    For gigabit internet... I would definitely pay $120. I just wish it wasn't only available in Kansas City

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I definitely would. I don't hate my ISP but for the speed and the price it looks very reasonable and wise to invest in.