Google Glass. Would you want one?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mistymi • Apr 9, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I realize Google Glass is not for everyone. I would feel uncomfortable using it and I would be afraid of making people around me feel uncomfortable too. I have nothing to share with other people and I don't go anywhere so I personally have no need for it. But has Google Glass looked interesting to anyone? I'm curious if people are using them or whether you've seen someone using it. What's your opinion on Google Glass?

2. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I say yes right now, but the problem I have is the fact that I feel like this is going to be one of those products that I use for the first two months and then never really use again. If it were cheaper then I would totally get it, but it's really expensive and I just don't know how much I would actually use it.

3. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    No. I would not want Google Glass.

I like the fact that Google is thinking ahead, and trying to develop next level gadgets. However. The Google glass technology is too much for right now. The technology is far too aggressive, and complicated. For the average consumer.

I think Google should have waited until they developed a better design. They should have waited until they had a simpler feature set.

Google glass is just too complex for me in it's current state.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No, well, not until Google perfects it. I mean, I don't think its that practical, I mean, for one its voice-controlled, I don't want to be that guy in the bus yelling commands every time notification pops out. I don't think we are ready for it, I mean most of us don't even use the voice commands on our phones for quick access let alone use to operate a whole device. I would want to try one, but I don't think I'll get into the gimmick.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that Google glass will get a lot of people. I have seen much more better wearable tech and am sure the others have much more features that Google Glass does not have. I think it will take time before such a tech can be comfortable to anyone. It is a great way we are moving forward with this wearable technology.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, why on earth would I want to wear any type of glasses on my head, when I have perfect vision already. It's a major invasion of user privacy and I think that those who are buying these things are going to quickly discover that others don't like hanging around them very much for obvious reasons. I can see many of them getting ostracized as a result. They are nothing more than a vanity device and they are not necessary at all. I would also argue that they are going to lead to distracted driving and even more accidents. Plus it is just one more thing that you have to keep charging on a regular basis, especially if you already have a smartphone, a smartwatch, a bluetooth headset, an exercise monitor such as FitBit, and other crap.

The issue is the cell phone market is tapering off, pretty much everyone has upgraded to smartphones these days, so they aren't growing in sales any more. So the tech manufacturers are trying to launch other devices to replace those missing sales these days. It's all gadget overload.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Now that it's two years later and still no one is sporting these glasses I guess it is safe to say that it didn't live up to the hype. I don't think Google was really expecting it to be that much of a mass consumer product, though, to be honest, as I always suspected that they were just doing it for experiment for the most part whether with regards to consumerism and marketing and of course the technology itself as well. I'm sure the technologies they discovered from it are already incorporated into their other products and are paying off tenfold and if not it will probably still be a good enough contribution to their future products.

8. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I personally think that yes, I would definitely get one of those, even if I wont use it way too much, seems to be a cool wearable piece of tech that would make me feel good and special out the streets while wearing it, however, I would actually think on the price and my posibilities before trying to acquire a pair of those.

9. CaptainOblivious

CaptainObliviousMember

Threads:
    I would love to have one, but only because of the cool factor involved. By itself, Google Glass was an impractical device and thus it has been discontinued by Google. In my opinion, the future of the augmented reality will lie with a device closer to the Oculus Rift. Also, the lack of content for the Glass means that you cant really use it for many tasks, unless you're a developer.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if I would go and spend the money on it, especially now that it's at the beginning and that I don't really have that much money! But if I have the spare money to spend on that, I'm sure I would love to buy it!
    It is one of those things that at least now, we definitely do not need. But it may be that in a few years we will think it's necessary just like we did with tablets. But I think there are a few years so that they can get perfected before people actually start buying them more.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Google Glass has been released for quite a while now, but obviously it's not getting the popularity that Google has expected because many people think that it's too fussy and bothersome to use your voice to command it. So like the majority of the responses in here, I also don't like one.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind owning it if someone is nice enough to gift me google glass but I've never thought of spending a dime for it. I think the design needs more improvement and the concept of it although really technologically advanced, i still think the voice control thing is too much and a bit awkward in public.