Google Wallet

Discussion in Payment Methods started by TheViper • Dec 16, 2014.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one of those guys that will only use Paypal if available and my debit card for online purchases. Though, recently I came to find out that Google Wallet offers a card to use with their payment system. I didn't know this at first and now I am more interested in seeing what this Google Wallet is all about. Do any of you guys currently use Google Wallet?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Google Wallet gets the job done, and it's available everywhere that Apple Pay is available. Of course, I'm talking about the smartphone wallet that utilizes NFC. The Google Wallet debit card can be used anywhere that debit cards are accepted. I can't remember the specific branding (MasterCard or Visa), but it doesn't matter much. The only issue with this card is that you can only reload it through bank transfer (free) or debit/credit card, which comes with a 2.9% fee or something like that.

3. seanbisepic

seanbisepicNew Member

Threads:
    I'm an avid user of Google Wallet, I tend to try to use it whenever possible just simply due to the convenience factor. I do like the fact they use a virtual debit card that automatically takes the place of your own debit card. That gives me a security blanket just in case the store gets hacked, (Target for example.)

I've used Google Wallet since I purchased my Nexus 4 device, which has been a couple years now. I also like the fact that I can use NFC to board the UTA trains in Salt Lake City when I visit. All-in-all I prefer NFC over having to go to a terminal and either swipe my card or insert cash (Which the cash insertion mechanism is broken from time to time). I've never had the chance to experience Apple Pay, but I do believe the fundamentals are similar, and are also secured by the Secure Element within the phone.

I also have the Mastercard branded debit card from them, which I tend not to use often unless I want to sign up for services which I don't fully trust. It's pretty much a prepaid debit card, and it will bounce any transactions if you don't have enough for the card unlike the NFC wallet.

4. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    I had a bit of a bad experience with Google Wallet... it was eventually ameliorated, but, the customer service reps--and employees otherwise--seemed to be dragging their feet a lot... maybe high volume of work with too little staffing? Who knows. Regardless, I don't see much reason TO use them, but, be weary, I would recommend, of hassles.

Unless there is something that draws you to it specifically, I see no reason to bother.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your day! :D

5. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of google wallet but we cannot get it in our country. A lot of my clients ask if I have it and they prefer using this to paypal, I love paypal and have had no problems with it but nice to know there are options out there.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I dislike google knowing as much as they already do about me, and do not want to give them any further options. It's for convenience and encourages people to buy on the spot. These days I prefer my card details to not be stored anywhere, so the less places the better as far as I am concerned. For some people who like contactless pay, it maybe fine,but there are always risks involved with hackers.

7. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I am a big google fan! When I need help with something they are very helpful and I often have problems that they fix immediately which I have to say doesn't happen with others.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Google Wallet seems to be becoming very popular very fast, with more and more sites offering it alongside PayPal. I have never personally used it and as I'm still very happy with Paypal, which is very widely used, I don't really have any reason to jump ship or even try it. So for now, I won't be using it.