GooseBumps?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by eagletal88 • Jan 17, 2015.

1. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Back in the 90's I remember the ultra popular books from R.L. Stine called GooseBumps. Was anyone else addicted to that series like I was??? I remember reading the books on the bus ride to school, then during recess breaks, and even sneak in a few pages during class. I believe I was able to read every book in the series. Childhood memories are always nice to recall.

2. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Oh man, I used to love that series. I was about 10 when I got my hands on the first volume and I was really into it as a kid. I remember the stories keeping me addicted to the feeling. One of my favorites was the one with the pyramid (I cannot remember the name, for the love of god) and the one with the kids at a birthday party. It was a nice lecture over all.

3. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I used to read them when I was a kid. The ones that I remember are the one about the dead house, monster's blood, werewolf, haunted mask, mermaid. It was scary enough for kids yet the story was interesting enough for kids. I also noticed that people are not killed in the series. I realized later that the author intended it to be that way so kids can enjoy it. I loved the adventure, the story, the monsters, and the fright.

4. lucyarty

lucyartyMember

Threads:
    I used to LOVE Goosebumps books - they really cemented my love of reading as a child! I particularly liked one that was (I think) called How I Got My Shrunken Head, and also Night of the Living Dummy. I have such happy memories of coming home form the library with armfuls of Goosebumps books and then curling up on my bed and chain-reading them. I am working really hard to instil a love of reading in my boys now so that hopefully I'll be able to share all these books with them when they're older!

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never really got into them but later I had watched a few video tapes. They were pretty entertaining but kinda lame (maybe I was too old to really enjoy it then). The ones I did read though were a few Choose Your Own Story. I wish they had more books like that but they're mostly only in the Goosebumps series.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely remembering Goosebumps books when I was in elementary and middle grade school, and I always had to work out a reading schedule between other students who also wanted to read the latest books written by R.L. Stein. My most liked books were Say Cheese and Die, The Haunted Mask, Be Careful What You Wish For, The Ghost Next Door, and Night of the Living Dummy! The TV show for Goosebumps books were also great to watch, but they weren't as thrilling and frightening as the books were.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also used to read Goosebumps when I was in elementary and in high school. I never owned one though, I just read the books that my classmates lent to me or from the grade school library. But I have read only a few though, and I can't recall any of the stories anymore, since I only read them once.

8. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Hoh, nostalgia!

I did read them a lot and managed to find most of the series here in Colombia. A cousin's friend had them and he lent them to me.

Goosebumps were definitely one of my first steps into the literary world and I'm grateful to RL Stine for that, but nobody can deny they were kind of lacking in quality.

9. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    When I created this topic I decided to see if I could find them on my Kindle. Low and behold I found the classic series, and bought #1, Night of the Living Dummy. Apparently they are ordered differently, (as opposed to date of release) for the Kindle series. I paid $3.50 for it, which I believe is a discounted price.

20 years later they are still just as good! I think I will read through them all again.

10. vivivivicky

vivivivickyNew Member

Threads:
    Oh how I loved these books! I feel like they were incredibly unique at the time as there wasn't a lot of options in a young adult or children's horror or thriller novel. I am glad to hear that they stand up to the test of time; maybe it is time I dig some out of my parents' basement and give them another read!