GPS watch or Battery Pack for Phone?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by nwitt • Apr 1, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Hi all - I am training for my first half marathon ( I have 4.5 weeks left) and am really starting to et used to running long distances on a regular basis - I am currently up to 8 miles. As I use my iPhone for music and my mileage tracker app (RunKeeper) I am finding that my battery drains quicker than I'd like. I have been able to lessen the drain by adjusting my screen contrast, but would you recommend investing in a battery pack case for my iPhone or a GPS watch to track mileage? I plan to train for a full marathon next, so my mileage will increase greatly. Thanks!

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest the watch. The iPhone wasn't really designed to remain active for that period of time. If you are already having power issues, another battery will make it last longer but you will have to stop and switch batteries as well as carry the spare with you. One spare may not even be enough if you are practicing for a marathon. The only reason to keep the iPhone with you would be for music. If you need both music and a gps, one device is probably easier. If you aren't using it as a phone, however, there are a lot of simple lightweight portable music players out there.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the input! The one other challenge is that I want my runs to be able to sync to my Run Keeper. I currently do this with the Run Keeper app on my iPhone. I have read that some GPS watches make it easy to do and some are impossible. I will have to carefully research and find the right model so that I can log everything as I have for the last year or so!

I think it will be a great investment.