Grab and go snacks?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JessiFox • Nov 14, 2014.

1. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    What snacks do you choose when you're on the go? Do you base your choices purely on taste and preference, or is health and nutritional content a consideration for you as well? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this one, I try to stick with healthy(ish) snacks and having a busy lifestyle day to day makes that no less important.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I usually only grab snacks on the go when I'm really hungry, otherwise I would prefer sitting down for a full meal, or at least making a sandwich. If I'm really in a rush I'd grab a chocolate bar/granola bar/stick of beef jerky, I find that they fill me up and are really easy to carry around and eat on the go without leaving a mess. I tend to avoid stuff like potato chips or cookies, since they're really loaded on oil/sugar/salt and can leave a mess/crumbs on your hands or surroundings more easily.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid snacks but not for any dieting reasons. I prefer eating three to six meals per day to maximize nutrition and calorie intake, although I know that not everyone is looking to maximize calories. If I had to choose a snack, then I'd probably go for trail mix or a few nutrition bars. I don't mind grabbing something with sugar in it either, but I prefer to keep things simple and on the healthier side.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    One thing is always clear for me, that is no junk foods or any food from fast food. Snacks on the go, should be fast to prepared and at the same time, healthy. Because if you are just going to bring just to have something to eat, even if it were very unhealthy, how does that differ to not eating at all. Both are unhealthy, but eating an unhealthy food could be more detrimental to health than eating nothing at all. You choose!

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger and in secondary school. I used to take around packets of soft mints. All of the students in the class used to love them. We would suck on them in class, and people would come to me for them. Not really as snack, but you know....
    These days, I don't really take snacks with me out on the go. I just take a bottle of water if I am going on a long walk, or if it is hot and I know that I am going to need to rehydrate my body, after losing so much sweat. I don't eat all that much and when I do, I'll just grab what is there, which isn't the most healthy thing to do. But it is habit

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grab a snack and weigh up how healthy it is or what I have eaten or will eat later. I have a bag of chips and will have the baked ones or I will have some rice crackers instead. It also depends on what there is to buy. I was in Fall River and all they had was a Dunkin Donuts and a Subway, so I chose Dunkin, the veggie patty. A snack is something that you only do every now and then, so it doesn't do any long term harm as long as it doesn't become a daily occurrence.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    The best "On the go" snack for me without a doubt are the nature valley bars. Many times when I wake up too late to have breakfast, I've eaten one as a breakfast replacement, or at least to have something to hold me over for a couple hours. I have yet to find a snack that does a better job at curbing my hunger than the nature valley bars. What's nice is they also provide some of the grains that are good to have in your diet every day.

8. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I make my on the go snacks once a week. It is like a trail mix but of my own design. Nuts, seeds, craisins (I hate raisins) or other dried fuit, Honey bunches of Oats Granola, and sometimes M&Ms. I make it because all other trail mixes I find have raisins in them.

9. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I try to find a happy balance. Any fruit with a peel is both nutritious, and grab and go (apples, oranges, bananas). A handfuls of nuts in ziploc bags can be made out in advance. String cheese requires refrigeration, but I can still toss it in my purse and run out the door. There are tons of convenience foods out there, but I try to avoid those for the healthier options (less processed).

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually take some food along wherever I go. I like fresh fruit and nuts. Sometimes, when I didn't have the time to pack anything, I like to go to the health food store and buy a sugar free, dark chocolate and a handful of cashews. It always gives me the energy boost that I need. And at the same time, it also has an amazing effect on my mood when I feel a little low.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's actually a lot to choose from including granola bars, Snickers, Frito Lays, Oreo, wafer sticks, cupcakes and the like. I say my preference for taste comes first and nutritional value is just a minor consideration. I consider it still but not all the time, though I always make sure the sodium and sugar contents do not exceed my set standards (300mg for sodium and 20g for sugar).

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I try to consider both factors. However, because for some reason, healthy snacks are more expensive, I seldom buy them. I try my best to pick protein or snack bars. :) Nature Valley is something that I really love.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer junk food f snacks as they are very easily available and also quite cheap. I think it is one of the best food available although it is not very healthy. I hope to change my diet in the long run.

14. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    When I'm taking a snack on the run I never choose them based on the healthiness of them, as they are never healthy. No matter how you take it, there is something totally not healthy and a small amount of it won't kill you anyway. I usually don't eat snacks, I've had a period when I've got plenty of them so I started to get sick of them, just because I ate too many.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try to be careful with my snacks because often the most convenient ones are a bit unhealthy such as drive thru fast food which I actually love. I try to limit my visits and instead just have some healthier ones available at home like oatmeal bars and crackers. I usually just have to munch on something and drink a lot of water anyway whenever I'm feeling hungry so as long as I get past whatever unhealthy food I'm craving then I'm alright.

16. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    If I am out and about and feel a bit peckish I know I will generally opt for something unhealthy like a sausage roll if I don't have anything with me, so try to always put a cereal bar or a mini pack of crackers or breakfast biscuits in my bag. Then I know I am having a healthier snack and it saves me spending more money when I am out. For that reason I always try to take a small bottle of water in my bag too as they are generally quite pricey to buy in shops.