Grapes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ExpertAdvice • Nov 16, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Grapes are a great source of nutrition and a great way to add flavor to any dish. Whether it be for a snack, or for an additive to a meal, grapes as a part of a meal is great, my question is, how can grapes be grown? I would love to grow some in my backyard.

2. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Grapes are not grown in my country due to the tropical climate which does not drop below 22C at any given time. Normal temperatures are around 28C. For this reason, all grapes are imported from South Africa due to the cool climate there. I am thinking that they may not grow in Jamaica, but I am not 100% sure. At any given rate, this is what I know about growing grapes:

Grapes can be grown from seeds, but the preferred method is from vine cuttings.

It's a vine fruit. So, it will need some type of support.
    They like sun and need soil with good drainage. Rocky or sandy soil is preferable.
    There needs to be room for good circulation.
    They need a lot of water.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I also like grapes. When I eat them, I couldn't help but eat so much that I am not able to notice that I am actually eating more than the healthy and recommended amount. Grapes have a high sugar content. So it's really something that shouldn't be overeaten. And I think that you need to be living in a cold place to have it grown in your backyard.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Never thought about growing grapes and it could be hard considering the environment you may life. Though, I love to add grapes to a salad or even a tasty chicken sandwich. I'm a nut for that kind of fruity sweet flavor that it adds so it is a welcome for me.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love grapes as well- my husband has to watch his fluid intake, and one suggestion from a dietician we know was to freeze grapes and enjoy them as there is some water content but also the flavor and such. It's been a helpful suggestion for us. I've never put much thought into growing them though, seems like it could be a lot of work in terms of maintaining them.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I used to grow grapes in the house I lived with my family for nearly two decades. All we did was clear a patch of area in our backyard, plant the vines, input some fertilizers, water it and let it grow! It grew to the size next to the wooden backyard fence and stood about 6 feet tall, 5 feet wide. After the first two years, that's when it started to seed grapes annually, which was always good to eat depending on the weather of that year if it was too hot or okay during the summer. I like green grapes the most, because it tastes more balanced in sweetness and doesn't have as much seeds.